Help with making a VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am using an HP Z210 PC with 24 GB RAM and an SSD with MX LINUX installed. I would like to "attempt" to create a VM. My SSD is 1TB in size and have about 800+ GB free. I would like to make an .ISO of my current Windows 10 installation thats located on another computer. But I dont know how to do this. If somebody could give me easy step by step instructions on how to do this. I did watch some videos on Youtube but I still find this whole thing intimidating and I dont want to mess up my Linux installation.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Aye, have no idea if this will work, because I have no idea if Windows will complain about being booted in a virtual machine after being setup on a physical machine due to differences in hardware, drivers, etc. It may even bluescreen due to driver related issues. But, doesn't mean you can't give it a shot. The general gist is that you want to create an image of your Windows hard drive, copy that image to your Linux machine, and boot that image in a VM. That's pretty safe, no need to worry about doing something to break your MX Linux set up.

You can make a VHD image with Microsoft's Disk2vhd tool found here:

Copy the created image to your Linux machine. Image may be very large, I hope you have a way to copy it from point A to point B.

Open up the MX Package manager and find and install the VirtualBox package. This will also grab the guest-additions.iso file and the virutalbox-ext-pack for more hardware support. Make sure to click the box and agree to the license for the ext pack and hit okay to let that install as well. Reboot and that should be done.

Run Virtual Box in Linux, hit New and start setting up your machine. Note: If you do not have Virtualization enabled in your BIOS/UEFI settings, you will not be able to choose 64-bit machines. Check this link if you can't choose 64-bit.
Screenshot_47.png

Tell it how much RAM you want the machine to have, probably 4GB, maybe more since you have all that RAM to spare. Then when you get to Hard Disk, Use an existing virtual hard disk file, and click the folder and find your image of the Windows drive you copied over and select it.

Screenshot_49.png

You're machine should now be configured. Before first boot of it though, check Settings,System and check Enable EFI if the Windows install was on a UEFI booting computer. You can fine tune other settings in here as well like Serial Ports, USB (set it to USB 3.0 if you can)
Screenshot_51.png
Also, probably a good idea to give it more cores to use if your machine has plenty of cores, 1 core = 1 thread in VirtualBox, so depending on your processor, you might can spare a few extra ones. Probably just don't dip into the red.
Screenshot_52.png

Then boot it up and pray that Windows doesn't blue screen.

Worse case scenario, if you want Windows in a VM, you may just have to get the Windows 10 iso and do a clean install in the VM.

If Windows boots, make sure to insert the guest additions cd from the devices menu, and install the guest additions so you will have proper drivers for the virtualbox.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I will attempt this at some point. I did make the Windows ISO and its BIG, about 43GB! But I copied it to an external hard drive so I can easily copy it to my linux computer. The computer will do virtualization, enabled in BIOS. The rest of the instructions I will read thru a few times. Thank you!

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Sounds like you already have the hard part done, the rest should be the easy part. I say that, and watch there be issues, but if there are issues, it will probably be with getting that image to boot, and not with Virtualbox itself.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you already have the hard part done, the rest should be the easy part. I say that, and watch there be issues, but if there are issues, it will probably be with getting that image to boot, and not with Virtualbox itself.
Well hopefully the issues will be minor but I havent gotten too motivated yet but soon.......

Status
Not open for further replies.