Help with mhz in Columbus, Ms area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfine7666

Is there someone or an internet site that can tell me for sure what mhz Columbus area Loundes county, Mississippi is broadcasting police, fire dept on? I have read online where one site says 800 mhz trunking and another site says still 500 mhz analog?
Also how do I know if they are digital or analog?
I have found sites that tell me what the scan codes are for the area, but not the mhz or digital or analog.
I am trying to purchase a scanner for my inlaws and need more information
Thanks again

nexus

I would trust the database on here (radio reference) over anything else on the internet, as this site's db is routinely updated by it's listeners. A lot of other websites might be out of date or have incorrect information.

According to the DB, there are no public safety 800mhz systems in Lowndes County except for CAFB. Everything police, sheriff, fire, ems is all VHF & UHF FM.

Lowndes County Sheriff Dispatch: 460.2500, and their Operations channel 460.0250
Columbus PD Dispatch: 460.5000 channel 2: 460.4500

Looks like most of the fire depts are VHF. So to answer your question they're on 450mhz UHF band, and VHF FM... ALL ANALOG.

If you take a moment and go look at the database here for Lowndes County you'll see a column called MODE: this is how you know if it's analog or digital, FM is analog, if it was digital it would probably say D or P25. Based on what I see for that area, any standard scanner would work perfectly, HOWEVER I would recommend getting one with at least analog trunking capability since they are so cheap and since so many areas do use 800mhz trunking now its always nice to have the capability, but for all general purposes the bare-bones basic scanner would work just fine for that area.

bama9999

The listings for Columbus and Lowndes county are correct. I have them programmed in and receive traffic on those frequencies regularly.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Lowndes County is analog conventional, but has plans to have at least one TG on the MSWIN once its built out.

Status
Not open for further replies.