• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with Motorola cap code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help before my head explodes. Here is what I have. We currently have the Motorola minitor IV pager (fire pagers) with the cap code of 890. Following the charts I have figure out the freq for tone A is Group 5 reed 159 – 903.2 and tone b is group 4 reed 140 140 – 321.7. My problem is we have documentation from our radio supplier that the freq programmed is 525.6 and 1122.5 I don’t understand how this could be if I follow the chart it this would be tone a is group 4 reed 149 and group 6 190.

Other note looking at OC II table 1 where does group 6 and 10 – 11 in OC II table 2 come in to play?

01001101 01111001 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01101000 01110101 01110010 01110100

Thanks
Steve Chapman

DPapay

There is no standard anymore with capcodes, since most dispatch consoles are custom programmable. If your pager supplier seems reliable, I would go with that info.

talkpair

If you suspect that one of the two examples is correct, then just listen to the tone sequence over the air.

In the first example, the sequence is a high tone followed by a low tone.
The second example is the opposite.

You might want to check the cap codes on other pagers for a pattern.

A radio shop should quickly be able to use a service monitor to signal the pager and verify if either one is correct.

talkpair

My problem is we have documentation from our radio supplier that the freq programmed is 525.6 and 1122.5

I think I have it figured out now.........assuming the 525.6 is a typo, and should read 524.6.

The full cap code should read "U890" for this combination, and is Motorola Table 3 Extended Code Plan.

see: http://www.midians.com/pdf/tone_signaling.pdf

If you look in the chart under "Column U Row 8", you'll see the number 46.

Next, refer to the chart Motorola Quick Call 2 One Plus One:

the "4" in 46 refers to reed group "4"........the digit 9 from the cap code is 524.6 Hz
the "6" in 46 refers to reed group "6"........the digit 0 from the cap code is 1122.5 Hz

Yes after some more head banging I figured we were using either R890 or U890 they both match group 4 and group 6.

Other quick question someone mention a “service monitor to signal the pager and verify if either one is correct” is this something I can make or purchase? I ask because we are buying new fire pager (50 of them) and would like to test them with out going over our county freq. So I would need something that can send a tone to these pagers with in a few feet and no further.

Thanks for your help
Chappy

radiofan1

Cheaper to pay a radio shop for an hour of their time. Service monitors cost lots a $$$.

talkpair

Yes after some more head banging I figured we were using either R890 or U890 they both match group 4 and group 6

add K890 to the list as well......i didn't realize there were duplicates in the same row.

If the shop is local...have them build you one pager and test it with your dispatcher.
This will verify the frequency and tones are correct.

Then, go ahead with the other 49.

Cheaper to pay a radio shop for an hour of their time. Service monitors cost lots a $$$.

Used service monitors are still in the thousands.....Either pay a shop, or turn all 50 new pagers on and have dispatch send you a test page......or wait for an actual call....this might give you the chance to test the batteries as well.

yea that the problem is each pager has 2 cap codes. One for group call and one individual cap code from 850 to 899. so I was hope to find a easier way to test, but I guess we will work with the local radio store.

Thanks for all your help.

DPapay

There are alot of mobiles and portables out there that are capable of doing two-tone encode. You may even have one in your inventory. If you were to have one set up, you could remove the antenna, and do all the testing you want.

firefive76

Uh....DO NOT follow this advise unless you want to destroy your radio.

There are alot of mobiles and portables out there that are capable of doing two-tone encode. You may even have one in your inventory. If you were to have one set up, you could remove the antenna, and do all the testing you want.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Bad advice

Did you seriously just recommend transmitting without an antenna? :roll:

happychappy

I was thinking we have a zetron ?sp? encoder we use to page out. If put a smaller antenna on it and put it inside a metal box would that work?

thanks
Chappy

NCFire11

Or you could get a Dummy Load to slap on there..Transmission is limited to like 10 feet then. Metal boxes do not to much to transmission.

What i do to test our pagers is this. I take any portable radio and have a dummy load to fit it. I have my iPod Mp3 player with tones of our department on it as an audio file. (I use Audacity and save the tones you make as a .wav file.) I take a 3.5mm Male to male adapter and use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm reducer to plug into the mic port of the portable, and the other end plugs into the iPod. I key up the portalble and play tones as much as my heart desires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.