• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with MTS2000 serial number mismatch issue

kn6ujr

I’ve been thinking about getting an MTS2000 to try out the 900MHz ham band. I found an 800MHz version at a thrift store, so although it’s the wrong frequency, I decided to buy it and see if I could figure out the programming.

I got a cable from BlueMax49ers and I am running CPS 2.03 in a Windows XP virtual machine, hosted by a Windows 10 computer. I have an FTDI USB serial adapter connected to the MTS2000 cable.

When I read the codeplug, it shows a different serial number than the one on the radio. I tried changing the conventional receive frequency and using the clone function. When I read the serial number in the clone function, it reads out correctly. However, when I try to program the radio (change the conventional personality to a different frequency and make it receive only), I get the error "Radio serial number doesn't match one in database." The Last Programmed information says the source was Labtool.

I am a new user, so this could very well be user error. Any suggestions for what to try next, or tutorials to watch?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The MTS2000 will not operate on the HAM 900 MHz band range. I believe the HAM 900 MHz freq pairs may not have been allocated when the MTS2000 900 MHz radios were released.

It is my understanding that you'll have to do some hex editing. The lowest frequency that can be programmed is 935 MHz.

I believe the MTX radios may have same freq. restriction. The XPRs, XTS2500, and the XTL2500 would be your best bet.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When I read the codeplug, it shows a different serial number than the one on the radio. I tried changing the conventional receive frequency and using the clone function. When I read the serial number in the clone function, it reads out correctly. However, when I try to program the radio (change the conventional personality to a different frequency and make it receive only), I get the error "Radio serial number doesn't match one in database." The Last Programmed information says the source was Labtool.

I am a new user, so this could very well be user error. Any suggestions for what to try next, or tutorials to watch?

Labtool will let the user mess with things that shouldn't be messed with.

Possibility it's a radio that was assembled from junk parts.

www.batlabs.com is a good source of information.

If you are looking for a commercial radio to use on 900MHz amateur, find a Kenwood NX-411 and the info on opening up the ham bands. There was someone selling a bunch of them a while back that were modified for ham use.

N4KVE

Some MTS2000’s work fine at 902/927, & some don’t. Many will not transmit on 927 T/A. But I haven't seen a XPR, XTS, or XTL that wouldn’t. 800/900 dual band XPR’s are under $100.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What he said. 900MHz Jedi's are a crap shoot for working on the 927/902 ham band. Some VCOs lock on both high and low, some on one or not the other, and there is nothing that can be done. It all in how the stripline inductors on the RF board in the VCO module were made when they were "born" in the Florida or Penang factories three decades ago. Grab and XTS/XTL like he said.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber

kn6ujr

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone! Sounds like another model would be a better bet. Do any of the other suggested Motorola radios work with the MTS2000 cable I already have?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone! Sounds like another model would be a better bet. Do any of the other suggested Motorola radios work with the MTS2000 cable I already have?
Yes, All of the Jedi series, HT1000, MT2000, JT1000, MTXs, and some others but none of those radios will operate on/in 900 MHz band, and the XTS3000 with a RIB and a Serial Adapter and again I believe the XTS3000 also will not operate on/in the 900 MHz band freqs.