Help with New Stridsberg MCA204M

Status
Not open for further replies.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
I have recently added a second scanner to my arsenal. This wasn't my original plan, but now that I have the two units - I kind of like the idea. To incorporate the new scanner, I have purchased a new Stridsberg to split the antenna. I just returned from vacation and found my new unit and jumper cables waiting for me, yesterday.

After putting it all together, I found - while I appear to have a stronger signal on both scanners than just plugging my single lead into either of the scanners, on both - I am now getting a lot of noise that I never had....all of this is with the multicoupler powered. Without the multicoupler powered - I get a slightly lower signal strength, but a much clearer sound.

My research here leads me to believe that I probably need some sort of filter, but what? How can I tell of this is the issue for sure and specifically what to buy? Money isn't so much the issue as time. I don't want to order something online and wait for it, then realize I needed something else and wait for it, etc --- this may be my only option, but would love to shortcut the guessing.

My set up:
Live in a suburban area with a Scannerbeam mounted high enough to get a good clean look at the main sites I monitor (30')
100' LMR-400
MCA204M
4' LMR-400 jumpers to - BC785D & BCD536HP

I have never had problems with any interference (FM, Pagers, etc) and have always had a good clean signal. Could this little bit of amplification have caused a significant increase in the noise?

In the spirit of full disclosure - my only method of quantifying signal strength is through my ARC software for each scanner and observation of the bars on the displays.

majoco

Stirrer
A passive splitter would have done the job. If you need more signal, get the antenna higher up. Where you used to have signal plus noise, now you have (signal plus noise plus amplifier noise) times gain, hence worse.

Perhaps you could try a test and put the amplifier up by the antenna so you don't get the feedline losses too.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
The first thing I tried today was to realign my antenna. While it was previously 'good enough', today I pulled my compass out and adjusted it about 15 degrees. This seems to have drastically reduced the noise and made this quite a nice setup. I now have improved reception of a nearby airport, but unable to say if this is from the antenna realignment or what. Sometimes the best solution is the easiest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.