Help with P25 monitoring here in UK .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Good Evening ,
Hopefully someone here can help ?
Here in England , P25 systems aren't very common and probably limited to the few US Military Bases.
So yesterday outside in one of our rare sunny days, I was monitoring 404 mhz with a Whistler TRX-1 whereby the scanner stopped on a nice strong signal , nothing unusual however one side of the conversation was encrypted and the other was in the clear.
It was a Base exercise , Control Room was encrypted P25, confirmed by display on the Whistler and the audio and mobiles were in the clear. Also transmissions were hopping between 404.825 and 404.875 mhz.
Just wondering why mobiles were in clear when system is meant to be fully encrypted...an error somewhere ?
Many thanks in advance if any can explain, really appreciate it.
Kevin

nd5y

Some military bases here are like that too. I don't know exaclty why.
The only thing I could figure out about the base near me is that the subscriber units and dispatch consoles have user selectable encryption and few if any talkgroups are strapped for full time encryption.

Probably some of the departments or units have policies for ensuring their radios are manually set to encrypted at all times. Others appear to sometimes have problems with keys not being updated or something. Once I heard on one of the talkgroups "Your radio is on secure, FIX IT!!!"

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Just wondering why mobiles were in clear when system is meant to be fully encrypted...an error somewhere ?
Many thanks in advance if any can explain, really appreciate it.
Kevin

Kevin,

At times all depends on how the system administrator design the system for use. Sometimes a user/personnel accidently bumps/slides the encryption switch on the radio to non encrypted and not knowing it if they have a lot of gear on their side where the radio is or just playing around the radio.

Also, The mobile radios can be programmed to have the mobiles only use non encrypted communications while the portable radio users and dispatch center for whoever uses encryption. Maybe, The mobile users don't have encryption added to the radio or just not using it for whatever reason they aren't using it for the time being.

reconrider8

i think i heard somewhere that some units like field units will run unencrypted in case shtf everyone can hear and know whats going on instead of having to deal with possibly not being able to copy a couple units or something like that

fires999

Good Evening,
Thank you all so much for firstly quick replies and more importantly detailed explanations...this forum never ceases to amaze me !!
I am a stationed at one of those Bases (UK Fire attached to USAF Fire Dept) and didnt realise the handhelds we use (that have that small knob on the top for encryption) could simply be knocked out of position, yet still work.
As I said, really appreciate the responses and feel I must also say it's a privilege working with my US colleagues on a US Airforce Base here in England .
Speak soon everyone, stay safe,
K

Status
Not open for further replies.