• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Help with Pre-Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitcockm

Premium Subscriber
So....I ordered a pre-amp from ScannerWorld and received the LNA-VHF-B Low Noise Amplifier for 137-174 MHz. On the output side of the little unit there is a place for +12 V. How do I make this thing work? I didn't see the "some assembly required"...

Thanks for your help.

KT4HX

I was unable to locate the amplifier you're referring to at Scanner World's website. However, what you have to do is get a 12v power supply, as it apparently does not come with one. That would entail taking your amp to Radio Shack and finding the correct adapta-plug to fit it and buy a 12v wallwart p/s so you can power the amp up (be sure to observe correct polarity). It has to have power applied to it for the amplification circuitry to work. I would have thought the ad for it would have said it required 12v for it to operate. Nonetheless that is what you will have to do. If you are really lucky, you might already have a 12v wallwart lying around that would just happen to have the correct polarity and plug to fit the amp's receptacle. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.