HELP WITH PRO-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmachine

Premium Subscriber
I'm programming this for a friend and do not have much knowledge of the functioons...
How do I turn the lower banks (11-20) off and on?

radsmachine

Premium Subscriber
One other question of possibly many...Can I put all of the trunked "repeaters" in one place and then put different talk groups into diferent banks, or do I have to separate the repeaters? (mswin p-25)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are no 'banks' with these scanners. You might want to spend some time reading the Easier to Read manual doctordialtone gave the link for in an earlier part of this thread. The organization of these object oriented scanners takes some getting used to....Mike

Can I put all of the trunked "repeaters" in one place and then put different talk groups into diferent banks,
You want to put all of the items in the same "System"

Study up on Trunking.

Trunked Systems consist of System/Sites (Towers) / Groups (Groups of similar radios like Police/Fire/DPW)

You want to set things up so that you can toggle things on and off WITHIN the system, using different scanner keys.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
One other question of possibly many...Can I put all of the trunked "repeaters" in one place and then put different talk groups into diferent banks, or do I have to separate the repeaters? (mswin p-25)
The "repeaters", actually the sites for the trunked systems, are entered into TSYS objects. The talkgroups that use a specific system have to be listed 'under' the TSYS item selected. But you can split up the talkgroups to be scanned on various combinations of scan lists. As already noted, there are no 'banks' on the newer scanners,

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
no, there are no banks per se but the 197 has Scan Lists which can function kinda sorta like banks.

on my 197 i have two or three P-25 systems configured, each covering multiple agencies. think of a P-25 system as the the top of a flow chart or family tree. the next level down would be the individual agencies...police, fire and sheriff's depts, public works, state police, etc. the next level down would be the talk groups for each dept or agency.

scan list 1 (bank 1) in my 197 is programmed for my town...pd and fd dispatch, car-car, the usual fire ground, public works. those talk groups plus legacy analog frequencies.

scan list 2, 3 and 4 (banks 2, 3 and 4) contain the corresponding talk groups for neighboring towns

scan list 5 (bank 5) contains strictly fire TGs and analog freqs for the county..dispatch freqs, fire grounds, admin, etc.

scan list 7, 8 and 9 (banks 7, 8 and 9) contains analog freqs and P-25 TGs for the three state police districts

scan list 10 (bank 10) contains EMERGENCY analog freqs and P-25 TGs.

several TGs are common to two or more scan lists. that's the beauty of these radios. in a true analog bank-oriented radio you'd have to program the same frequency into each bank to achieve what i have described. with the 197 you define the TG or analog frequency once and then assign it to one or to multiple scan lists.

i use Butel's ARC500 software to program my 197. makes it super EZ.

does that help?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use ARC500 and can help with the programming. What is the location of your friend (city, county, state) and which agencies do you want to monitor? I can check if the Pro-197 is capable of monitoring the systems.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
Smith County is phase 2 I believe on MSWIN. They have some conventional that are still active. MHP for that area is encrypted. Most of the surrounding counties are phase 2 digital which means you will not be able to hear wit that scanner. Some may have conventional mainly volunteer fire.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Presently, the 4 talkgroups for Smith Co on the MSWIN statewide system are operating as Phase 1. You were trying to scan far too wide of an area. Try this file for Smith Co. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and Upload to Scanner.

Attachments

• Smith Co MS.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.