• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera TYT MD-380 Help with programming analog freqs codeplug

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hello
I have a TYT MD UV 380 HT (no gps version). NEW to DMR. I had a friend from local radio club program the clubs DMR repeater data into Zone 1 on radio. Its working fine, no problem. I want to set up a NEW ZONE with just a few analog repeaters. The radio does both DMR and conventional. I can't find in the menu how to edit/create a contact list for analog only. There is only 1 option for digital contacts. I looked online and found NUTHIN. There doesnt seem to be any instructions on how to do this. The radios manual is pretty useless. I saved the current codeplug on my PC. So I was thinking maybe there might be some people on here using the same radio who could give me some help. Thanks.:oops:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
You first create the new analog channel and then create the new zone, then you add the new channel to the new zone. Rinse and repeat for additional analog channels. Analog channels don't use talkgroups/contacts like digital channels do. Viewing some related YouTube videos might make things a little clearer for you.

hurricaneoleg

Can someone, without being overly rude and/or angry at my ignorance on the subject, explain what a codeplug is?! I keep hearing about it but can't understand what it actually is. Googling it didn't help, I don't understand engineer speak and can't move forward. Thank you!

a417

Can someone, without being overly rude and/or angry at my ignorance on the subject, explain what a codeplug is?! I keep hearing about it but can't understand what it actually is. Googling it didn't help, I don't understand engineer speak and can't move forward. Thank you!
It is a data file that the radio reads, decodes the code within, and contains the parameters that interact with the radios firmware to do radio things.

Different vendors call it different things.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Very basically... A computer file uploaded to your radio containing programming information for that radio.

hurricaneoleg

It is a data file that the radio reads, decodes the code within, and contains the parameters that interact with the radios firmware to do radio things.

Different vendors call it different things.
Appreciate you and your help.
It's like a settings list then, I get it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you, is it related to firmware?
A codeplug can interact with the firmware already in your radio in the sense that the codeplug tells some aspects of the firmware how you want it to perform based on your preferences. A codeplug is something you generate on your computer, based on how you want your radio to perform and what you want it to monitor/operate on... (agencies, frequencies etc.). Codeplug = programming file.

hurricaneoleg

Thank you, everyone, I'm so glad I found this forum, all explanations I found were so generic, confused the crap out of me.
What I'm also starting to understand is that my radio didn't have a password and that the store I took it to might have put it on.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It's actually a Motorola holdover term from the early days. Bob Meister (sadly gone now) summed it up very well in a Batboard post from 2004:
Back in the good old days, radios used crystals to control the frequencies, and sometimes had internal jumpers that were set for the various options. Some time later on, they moved the internal jumpers to a jack on the back of the radio. They configured plugs with wire jumpers in them that plugged into the jack to enable certain options. These became the original code plugs. Later on, more things were controlled by these code plugs, such as tone encode/decode selection.

As radios became microprocessor controlled, the external code plugs moved inside the radio as programming information. The term has, unfortunately, remained with us, although there's not much that still plugs in. The code plug contains the operating frequencies, tone selections, timeout values, system IDs, etc. In some instances, there's even some parts of the program itself in the code plug which defines a radio's personality. These days, the code plug is just a relatively small binary file that's managed by the RSS program and transferred to or from the radio via several proprietary means.

Bob M.
Motorola still uses it but it's become a generic term nowadays. Original post here: what is codeplug?

Reactions: wtp

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Thank you, is it related to firmware?
The codeplug or programming file interacts with the firmware.
The firmware (sort of like BIOS in a computer) establishes or enables the basic functionality of the radio. The codeplug works within the rules established by the firmware to use whatever functionalities the radio has.

The word "codeplug" comes from the way some first generation programmable radios were programmed. Then, the codeplug was an actual plug (really a memory chip) that had to be removed from the radio and plugged into the programmer (which was the size of a small suitcase), then returned to the radio for use.