Help with programming Lodi, NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince870

I have had a scanner for about a year and it's been working fine. RadioShack pro 163 triple trunking. Now my town is being dispatched via Bergen County dispatch not actually in the town any longer. In short the frequency I had programmed no longer works 470.16250 pd and 472.90000 fd. Can't find any information if those have changed. How do I get this to work? I would also like to program bergen county pd 477.16250 which I think is trunked and a NJSP channel or two. How do you set up trunking? How do you know if a frequency is mot, edacs or ltr? What is -closed +open?

The BCPD and the lodi frequency are programed and pop up when they transmit but It's all static, not sure if that makes sense to you.

Any help would be appreciated.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Bergen County's system is an all-digital P25 trunk system. Your 163 is not going to be able to receive that system.

The majority of county-level law enforcement on the system is encrypted. Lodi & Leonia are in the clear, though (they moved to the county system recently)...

Vince870

So basically p25 is a newer trunking system similar to the motorola system but requires a newer more advanced scanner? This is getting annoying. Do you know if Lodi, NJ actually has a dedicated channel even though it is dispatched by Bergen County?

Any digital p25 scanners you would reccomend and how much is a used pro 163 worth today?

W2SJW

Database Admin
Bergen County Trunking System, Hackensack, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

This system will work with just about all modern scanners. It's all up to what brand you prefer. I drink the Uniden cool-aid more than any of the others, so I would steer you towards a 396XT (assuming you want another handheld).

We're at the stage of the game that many are telling people to 'hold out for now' - the prevalence of agencies putting up Phase-II/X2 P25 systems means new scanners should be on the horizon shortly...

DJ88

So basically p25 is a newer trunking system similar to the motorola system but requires a newer more advanced scanner? This is getting annoying. Do you know if Lodi, NJ actually has a dedicated channel even though it is dispatched by Bergen County?

Any digital p25 scanners you would reccomend and how much is a used pro 163 worth today?

Just be aware that many agencies that use P25 Digital Systems encrypt some or all of their law enforcement communications, so, just because you have a digital capable scanner doesn't mean you will be able receive law enforcement. No scanner on the market can decode encryption and there never will be one as it is illegal to do so. If you look at the various agencies listed in the Radio Reference Databases, where you see an E listed in the Type or Mode column, that indicates encryption. Or, some just have Encrypted in the Description column.

Vince870

Ah!!! Plain english, Thank you DJ88. This does not sound like good news. I'm sure the scanner industry will figure something out as people want to listen in. What is the need for encryption anyway? Or for that matter this new p25 based system. Sounds like a marketing sceme for companies to sell new radios and for towns to spend more of our tax dollars.

Vince870

Getting better reception???

How do you get better reception on frequencies? I'm in Lodi and Garfield is coming in really weak. I don't think it's the antenna since i get towns that are much much further perfectly clear. I remember reading somewhere that you can set how you channela are received ie UHF or something else, not really sure. Can anyone help on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.