Help with programming Suffolk PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

arking

I just bought a Uniden BCT15X. I would like to listen to Suffolk County PD 7th Division and their command channel. I looked online and see the information, but I have no idea how to program this information into my scanner. Can someone provide some guidance. Thanks

IW_RADIO

A good start would be reading your owner's manual, especially the section on 800 MHz trunked programming. You will then need to program all 20 SCPD 800 MHz trunked frequencies into a dedicated bank as Motorola Type 2 mode. Those frequencies can be found in the New York Database on this website. You will also have to program the 5-digit talk-group id's for the various precincts you want to monitor. It can be somewhat overwhelming for the newbie.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
best way to learn is doing it manually.takes longer,but best way to know your scanners features.use the wiiki for uniden scanners as well as the manual.good luck.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Just about all of Suffolk County NY Public services are on Motorola Type II. Easist way is to set it up is download Freescan and get it working on your computer. So you can talk to your radio. Then get a premium membership to radio reference. Then go to their web site Radio Reference Database and download the Suffolk County Public SMARTZONE system to your software and load it up to your radio.
Give yourself sometime to set up. When you have problems trying to connect to the radio using freescan use wiki reference - has lots of info to help you. If your computer does not have rs232 then you need to puchase special cable USB for you radio. Cna buy on internet about 30 bucks
There must be over 100 talk groups. Each group represents a different agency. The Database has all the talk groups and text tags. I would not want to enter all of them manually.

Once set up. When scanning and scanner is trunking in ID scan Mode when 7th precinct shows up press hold and your radio will stop and trunk on this ID alone.

Also Suffolk is supposed to reband very soon and when it does You will need to download again from Radio Reference after the changes are in. Or make changes manually.

Most important if you wish to do it manually you need the Trunking setup information
It is here at this link
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=722

This link is at a lower lever on the web site.Best you select NY and suffoulf county and you can see everything. There are multiple trunking systems.
All of Suffolk in Database here
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1876

Last edited:

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I prefer to use the BuTel software, but I've been using them for years. I find it very simple to use.

To get started.. you will need to create a SYSTEM on the BC15XT for Suffolk PD, and make that system a Motorola II trunk System.
Then In that system, add a SITE. This is where you will put the trunk frequencies.
Then you will create a group. It is inside of the groups where you place the talk groups. I believe you can have 20 groups on a system.

The same practice holds for Conventional systems. Except you can leave out the SITE, since there aren't any..

All the previous posts should get you off the ground and programmed.. If you are still stumped, I do program radios, and I am located in Nassau County. Visit my website (in my signature) for details if you are interested. I also have pre-made files for BuTel if you are interested in those..

Enjoy your radio! You picked a good one!

arking

Talkgroups

Thanks for all the great help... Do I have to put in all of the talk groups or can I just put in the ones I want to listen to?

SCANdal

Silent Key
king,

You can listen to only the talkgroups you are interested in. There is no need to program all of the talkgroups. While I am not familiar with your exact model, if it follows the standard Uniden scanning protocol, just make sure that you are in ID SCAN mode instead of ID SEARCH mode while scanning to listen only to the talkgroups you wish to.

SCANdal

scosgt

Actually, on a Bearcat you can just program the control channels, no need to put in all 20 or whatever.

Strangely, some systems work better with on the control channels programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.