Help with Proper Ground for Active Mini Whip Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultravista

I am in Las Vegas, NV, my soil is caliche (soil particles are cemented together by calcium carbonate (CaCO3)). It is nearly impossible to sink a ground rod.

Reading the many articles and blogs for the active mini whip antenna, it is only effective high outdoors with a proper ground. The antenna is RX only ...

My antenna mast ~6 meters high. The first 3 meters is a galvanized steel pipe; the last 3 meters is PVC plastic. The antenna is mounted at the top of the PVC pipe. The base of the mast is similar to the photo links below - powder coated steel legs and springs. It is meant to hold road signs on the highway - but is an excellent vertical stand for the antenna. It rests on concrete in the back yard.

This of course cannot provide an adequate ground.

What do you recommend I do to provide a proper ground for an active mini whip given the facts that my soil is cement-like?

http://www.powerpak.net/sign_stands.png

https://visiflashdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/dicke-stf-18-rgb.jpg

prcguy

Most short active whip antennas for VLF/HF are considered an E-field probe and benefit from a ground plane right beneath them and not necessarily a distant ground rod. Here is an article from some people who are really up on E-field antennas and near the end of this article they provide suggestions on a ground for this type antenna.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/0109031.pdf
prcguy

I am in Las Vegas, NV, my soil is caliche (soil particles are cemented together by calcium carbonate (CaCO3)). It is nearly impossible to sink a ground rod.

Reading the many articles and blogs for the active mini whip antenna, it is only effective high outdoors with a proper ground. The antenna is RX only ...

My antenna mast ~6 meters high. The first 3 meters is a galvanized steel pipe; the last 3 meters is PVC plastic. The antenna is mounted at the top of the PVC pipe. The base of the mast is similar to the photo links below - powder coated steel legs and springs. It is meant to hold road signs on the highway - but is an excellent vertical stand for the antenna. It rests on concrete in the back yard.

What do you recommend I do to provide a proper ground for an active mini whip given the facts that my soil is cement-like?

cmdrwill

I have one of the older 'traffic sign' stands that I salvaged. Great antenna stands.

I would think a metal mast and some metallic guy wires from near the base of the antenna would make a good counterpoise. They would have to be long enough to be good at HF frequencies. AKA elevated counterpoise.

prcguy

An E-field probe works a little different than a larger HF antenna and an elevated chicken wire ground plane maybe 8ft X 8ft should be fine for the entire HF band plus VLF.
prcguy

I have one of the older 'traffic sign' stands that I salvaged. Great antenna stands.

I would think a metal mast and some metallic guy wires from near the base of the antenna would make a good counterpoise. They would have to be long enough to be good at HF frequencies. AKA elevated counterpoise.

ultravista

An E-field probe works a little different than a larger HF antenna and an elevated chicken wire ground plane maybe 8ft X 8ft should be fine for the entire HF band plus VLF.
prcguy

prcguy - please explain the 8x8 foot ground plane. I can't picture it in my mind. Something, connected to coax ground, connected under the stand or elsewhere?

prcguy

Picture your little antenna mounted to a vent pipe on your roof and low to the roof. Then arrange a couple of strips of overlapping chicken wire on the roof to cover an area about 8ft X 8ft under the antenna and attach that to the ground side of the coax at the antenna. Look at the picture near the end of the article I posted and it shows a similar setup to what I'm trying to describe.

I think a single strip of 4ft wide chicken wire 6 or 8ft long would do ok for your antenna, or lay two 8ft long strips over each other in an X pattern with the antenna in the center.
prcguy

prcguy - please explain the 8x8 foot ground plane. I can't picture it in my mind. Something, connected to coax ground, connected under the stand or elsewhere?

jack103

Premium Subscriber
Hire a qualified electrician they have the proper tools to install ground rods that's what they do on every service they install!

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think a hammer drill might do the trick. I have seen some sort of drill to ground rod adaptor for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ultravista

I had problems driving 2 FT rebar when building a raised garden bed.

Roelof emailed with the following information.

------
The requirements of this ground are light. A very small capacitance coupled to earth is enough. Using the antenna pedestrian portable, the human body can provide this as well. The antenna works fine without a ground rod or a radial system.

Where a good ground comes in, is to get rid of local interference on the shield of the coax feed line. Using a ground rod, the noise on the shield will flow to earth and not travel over the shield of the
feed line to the antenna.

You can try a square meter of chicken fence at the bottom of the mast. I use a BNC - BNC panel feed through, mounted on a metal plate as a shield break out connection.
------

Kb2Jpd

Find a old metal bathtub. Drill holes or weld a decent ground strap to it. If you want to, make a fan of Copper wire surrounding the bathtub out to the rest of the yard.

Make a deep hole into the ground. Drop tub into ground. Bury it.

Connect to your antenna.

Have fun.

Adam Kb2Jpd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prcguy

None of this is appropriate for a short active whip....
prcguy

Find a old metal bathtub. Drill holes or weld a decent ground strap to it. If you want to, make a fan of Copper wire surrounding the bathtub out to the rest of the yard.

Make a deep hole into the ground. Drop tub into ground. Bury it.

Connect to your antenna.

Have fun.

Adam Kb2Jpd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.