Help with psr 800 and STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssmith

Hello everyone, I have a new psr 800 that I would like to listen to VSP division 5 with. I have programed it with the gre software and am using a radioshack 800mhz duckie for an antenna.I have not been able to hear anything and suspect I have something set wrong but im stumped as to what it might be. The attenuator is off. Any ideas? Thanks!

jim202

Hello everyone, I have a new psr 800 that I would like to listen to VSP division 5 with. I have programed it with the gre software and am using a radioshack 800mhz duckie for an antenna.I have not been able to hear anything and suspect I have something set wrong but im stumped as to what it might be. The attenuator is off. Any ideas? Thanks!

Maybe you should try a VHF antenna for starters, since all the Virginia STARS frequencies are in the 150 to 170 MHz band.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
The GRE PSR800 antenna works much better than the RS800 antenna. In fact, the PSR800 antenna is one of the best stock antennas I have yet to try - I use it with a BNC adapter on my Uniden 396 and again it works better than the RS800 antenna.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
With STARS and the PSR 800, it is important to have the correct "sites" associated with the VSP Div (In your case Div 5) This map may help you in indentify which sites you need STARS Sites - Google Maps. I would look for the one or two that are located close to where you are. I am about 20 miles away from the STARS site I use and I also use a RS 800mz rubber duck which although may not be the best, it works for me. Good Luck

Last edited:

ssmith

Frank - no trunked control channel icon on the display.

brownlab - yea, I am thinking the Hampton site (mercury blvd.) is going to be the closest to me. That was the site I downloaded. I locked out everything except the chesapeake channels. One thing I just noticed in the gre software is that under the trunked systems tab stars is listed as a motorola system is this correct? I would think it would be project 25.

Last edited:

robschonk

I'm in Norfolk, and hear the Hampton site just fine on my PSR-800 using the RS 800 MHZ antenna You should see the T flashing when receiving trunking data. Also have the Chesapeake site programed, but mostly hear the Hampton site.

ssmith

Rob, thats good to know, I should definitely be able to hear Hampton from Smithfield, I can pick up Hamptons city traffic, so I dont think it is a reception issue.

robschonk

Rob, thats good to know, I should definitely be able to hear Hampton from Smithfield, I can pick up Hamptons city traffic, so I dont think it is a reception issue.

If worse comes to worse, I could create a vscan folder with my settings, import STARS into it, zip it up and email it to you, and you could create a vscan folder and unzip it into it and see if it works.

I've only got the CHE talkgroups programed into it, and there really isn't that much traffic, but you should still see the T.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

brownlab - yea, I am thinking the Hampton site (mercury blvd.) is going to be the closest to me. That was the site I downloaded. I locked out everything except the chesapeake channels. One thing I just noticed in the gre software is that under the trunked systems tab stars is listed as a motorola system is this correct? I would think it would be project 25.
P25 auto is type. Go into EZScan program and highlite Hampton site. On right side click Site Options tab and insure Trunking Tables pulldown is set to Autofill.

Send back to scanner SD Card.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun

Just to make sure we are doing the same programing, I go to the Library Import tab, go to Virginia and then Systems and then the Next button. The only item there is STARS Project 25. When you click on that, the Sites and TGs buttons come on. This allows you to choose whichever sites you need. I only tell you this because some have made the mistake of choosing Agencies/Cities which may also take you to VSP. You could indeed have a reception issue (I have a difficult time receiving Faquire County VA and I am in the county) plus I cannot pick up STARS at my Alexandria home by the Potomac River since I am below sea level and I have to use the Fairfax County VSP patch. STARS reception can be tricky however I would not think you would have a reception issue in Hampton.

ssmith

Frank - I have made those corrections.

brownlab - yes thats how I did the programing I may just ride over the james river bridge tommorow morning to Hampton to make sure its not a reception issue.

thank you guys for all the help so far, I really think its a setting or something really simple, I just havent figured it out yet.

robschonk

brownlab - yes thats how I did the programing I may just ride over the james river bridge tommorow morning to Hampton to make sure its not a reception issue.

thank you guys for all the help so far, I really think its a setting or something really simple, I just havent figured it out yet.

Are you sure you're scanning the right scanlist and scanset? If you're not familiar with that concept, it's easy to make a mistake.

You might try loading the Williamsburg site, but it's hard to believe it's a reception issue.

If you're going to be in Norfolk anytime soon, stop by, and we'll go through the process.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

I'm at Beals Park in Smithfield wrth PSR-600, PAR-500 and PSR-800. Very little signal on any of them on Hampton tower and none on any other tower.

robschonk

wow, I hope I dont have a very expensive paperweight here, guess I will be riding over the bridge tommorrow.

At the worst, you might need an outside antenna.

Just did side by side tests with the original antenna and the RS 800. On STARS, two bars with the original, and three with the RS. Still, not a real strong signal, but you know the VSP are able to use it over your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.