Help with putting crimp on BNC connectors on RG-58

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I've crimped quite a few of my own N, BNC, and SMA connectors on LMR-240 and LMR-195 with little problems. Today I tried it for the first time on RG-58, the problem I'm having is the center conductor is so small and flimsy even with some solder on it I'm having a hard time getting it to push through the connector, the wire just flexes and the center pin won't push through the connector.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

prcguy

The center pin should be flush with the dielectric or just a few thousands of an inch beyond it so the dielectric pushes the center pin into the connector. Did you leave any bare wire between the dielectric and center pin?

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Thanks for the video, very helpful. I see what my problem is now, my rotating stripping tool doesn't leave enough of the center insulator when it strips the coax. Guess I'll just have to use the method in this video.

kb4mdz

Good video; clear, direct, concise, good craftsmanship all around. And if you're going to be doing more than just a handful, get yourself the proper stripping/prep tool set to the correct dimensions & depths.

wtp

i myself had only soldered a handful of CB stranded cables, but it was right into the pin.
i have done many F-style crimp connections.
so even for my scanner it is RG6 and F-crimps to BNC stuff, and it makes it handy to use TV splitters and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.