Help with RadioShack pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ki4fkl

I was give a RadioShack pro 106 several years ago. I could never really figure it out completely so the reception was terrible which led me to just stop using it. I recently moved to a metro area where I am a firefighter and decided to see if I’d have better luck. I’ve found a few things here and there that have helped but I know there’s more I can do to make it work better. We operate on an APCO 25 system and I’ve only programmed the control and alternate control frequencies in. When the scanner is stationary it works a lot better than it used to but when I’m mobile it is very in and out and the signal bar is going crazy. Second question is I want to preprogram the “ID’s” instead of having to scan the wild card and store them when someone finally transmits on them. So how do I program the DEC (ID’s) from radio reference into the talk systems I created?

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are using only 1 site, multi-site should be set to off. Which system are you trying to monitor and what are the adjacent jurisdictions for mutual aid? Do you have the owner's manual for the scanner? Trying to program the scanner from the keypad can be very difficult and time consuming. I have programmed large systems and found that out the hard way. Using programming software is so much easier. For the Pro-106, you can use PSREdit500, Win500, or ARC500. I use Butel ARC500 and find it to be a very user friendly and easy to use program. If you still want to do it manually, please let me know. I will pull out my old Pro-197 and refamiliarize myself with how to do it. I volunteer my time programming scanners for a lot of firefighters and appreciate what first responders do for us. Thank you!

nanZor

With the Pro-106 all the way up through the similar Whistler 1040 in crowded metro environments, sometimes LESS antenna is more with GRE based scanner front-ends.

You may want to look into the Comet CH-32 "Miracle Baby" little stubby antenna. Being tuned, it provides better performance than similar little inch-long generic racing-scanner antennas.

The basic test is that if you have better *intelligibility* and decoding with the attenuator engaged, try running with the baby comet ch-32 with the attenuator off.

Ki4fkl

I’m trying to monitor Savannah Georgia the system is Chatham county but the signal is terrible just like it was when I first got it. The little “T” in the top left is seldom there and I’ve been reading that is vital to the signal. I have it programmed as single site and only used the red frequencies

Ki4fkl

It's a simple antenna issue. Get a RH77CA. It will fix your problem.
It was the same way with the Mobile scanner as well. How does the antenna remedy the problem. It was working decent and only lost signal when I was driving but now it sucks all the time again

Ki4fkl

If you are using only 1 site, multi-site should be set to off. Which system are you trying to monitor and what are the adjacent jurisdictions for mutual aid? Do you have the owner's manual for the scanner? Trying to program the scanner from the keypad can be very difficult and time consuming. I have programmed large systems and found that out the hard way. Using programming software is so much easier. For the Pro-106, you can use PSREdit500, Win500, or ARC500. I use Butel ARC500 and find it to be a very user friendly and easy to use program. If you still want to do it manually, please let me know. I will pull out my old Pro-197 and refamiliarize myself with how to do it. I volunteer my time programming scanners for a lot of firefighters and appreciate what first responders do for us. Thank you!
That is awesome. I’m trying to monitor Savannah fire. It’s the Chatham county system in Georgia. I reset everything and reprogrammed it and it was working decent but it is very spotty even when stationary now. I don’t think I have any of the manuals anymore. I have the programming cable but no longer have the disk with the software that I bought years ago. Any help would be awesome!

Ki4fkl

With the Pro-106 all the way up through the similar Whistler 1040 in crowded metro environments, sometimes LESS antenna is more with GRE based scanner front-ends.

You may want to look into the Comet CH-32 "Miracle Baby" little stubby antenna. Being tuned, it provides better performance than similar little inch-long generic racing-scanner antennas.

The basic test is that if you have better *intelligibility* and decoding with the attenuator engaged, try running with the baby comet ch-32 with the attenuator off.
I bought the 800mhz antenna when I first got it years ago and I never saw a difference between the original one. I might try to find this one

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the Pro-106 owner's manual. Save the zipped file to your computer and extract.

Attachments

• PRO-106_OwnersManual.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
I had the Pro-106 years ago and it worked great with the Chatham system at first and then as the years went on, reception got worse and worse. I wonder if the scanner may be showing its age. I used mine with the RadioShack 800MHz antenna. I now use a BCD996P2 in the car, BCD436HP at home and a TRX-2 at work. I'm in Liberty County so if you need any help, let me know and we can find a time to meet up.

Ki4fkl

I had the Pro-106 years ago and it worked great with the Chatham system at first and then as the years went on, reception got worse and worse. I wonder if the scanner may be showing its age. I used mine with the RadioShack 800MHz antenna. I now use a BCD996P2 in the car, BCD436HP at home and a TRX-2 at work. I'm in Liberty County so if you need any help, let me know and we can find a time to meet up.
We moved here from Warner Robins about 3 years ago and I had the same issues there and I was hoping it would be different here. I might just have to look into a different unit because I even had the mobile one and it did not work very well either. Where did you buy yours from?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Presently, the only scanners which will reliably receive P25 simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. At my location, I have bad simulcast problems with every other scanner including the Pro-197, WS1080, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD325P2, and BCD996P2. The SDS100 and SDS200 perform perfectly.

Last edited:

Ki4fkl

So there’s really nothing I can do to remedy the problem?
Presently, the only scanners which will reliably receive P25 simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. At my location, I have bad simulcast problems with every other scanner including the Pro-197, WS1080, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD325P2, and BCD996P2. The SDS100 and SDS200 perform perfectly.

We moved here from Warner Robins about 3 years ago and I had the same issues there and I was hoping it would be different here. I might just have to look into a different unit because I even had the mobile one and it did not work very well either. Where did you buy yours from?

If you are wondering about the Pro-106, I had bought that direct from RS brand new. The three scanners I use now, I purchased from Amazon. I have the TRX-2 because it comes with DMR support and I do not have to pay extra. I will admit though, that the Uniden units surpass the TRX-2 in low signal decode quality but the TRX-2 has clearer audio out of the speaker, at least to my ears. I would use the TRX-2 in the the car if it weren't for the long start up times and SD card which I know can become corrupt from sudden power loss when turning the vehicle off.

Ki4fkl

If you are wondering about the Pro-106, I had bought that direct from RS brand new. The three scanners I use now, I purchased from Amazon. I have the TRX-2 because it comes with DMR support and I do not have to pay extra. I will admit though, that the Uniden units surpass the TRX-2 in low signal decode quality but the TRX-2 has clearer audio out of the speaker, at least to my ears. I would use the TRX-2 in the the car if it weren't for the long start up times and SD card which I know can become corrupt from sudden power loss when turning the vehicle off.
Yeah that’s where mine came from too. The Uniden look solid just a hard idea of dropping 650 for it. I was really hoping there was a tweak I could do to fix mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.