Help with RadioShack pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that’s where mine came from too. The Uniden look solid just a hard idea of dropping 650 for it. I was really hoping there was a tweak I could do to fix mine.

My BCD996P2 works great when I am in the Savannah area. I got the P2 because I know the regional system has the ability to go Phase 2 so I just wanted to future proof for that, when and if they ever go Phase 2. They can be found on eBay for a couple hundred or you can go new for $400-500. Bearcat Warehouse has them right now for $349.90 and can be upgraded to DMR and NXDN should you need those features now or in the future.

Ki4fkl

Forgive my ignorance but what is the DMR and NXDN? I used to keep up with all of the technical aspects of them but what I did know I have honestly forgotten.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What versions of CPU and DSP firmware do you have in your Pro-106 scanner? The latest are CPU v2.1 and DSP v1.4. Turn the scanner off. Turn the scanner on and then press and release 3 during the welcome screen to find out.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the DMR and NXDN? I used to keep up with all of the technical aspects of them but what I did know I have honestly forgotten.

They are additional types of modes for digital operation. Similar to how our Public Safety system is P25, some systems are DMR and others are NXDN. The school system for Liberty County is on DMR which is one reason I have the TRX-2, since it supports it out of the box and the BCD436HP at the house has the DMR upgrade so I can listen to them. If you are only interested in Public Safety, then you do not need to worry about those upgrades at this time.

If you want those features without the added cost, you can always get a Whistler TRX-1 or 2 but be warned, there is a learning curve to use the programming software. I spent about 3 days figuring out how to program the darned thing before I finally got it down pat. Also, they are running around $500 on Amazon and other retailers.

Ki4fkl

What versions of CPU and DSP firmware do you have in your Pro-106 scanner? The latest are CPU v2.1 and DSP v1.4. Turn the scanner off. Turn the scanner on and then press and release 3 during the welcome screen to find out.
1.8 & 1.4 I believe

Ki4fkl

They are additional types of modes for digital operation. Similar to how our Public Safety system is P25, some systems are DMR and others are NXDN. The school system for Liberty County is on DMR which is one reason I have the TRX-2, since it supports it out of the box and the BCD436HP at the house has the DMR upgrade so I can listen to them. If you are only interested in Public Safety, then you do not need to worry about those upgrades at this time.

If you want those features without the added cost, you can always get a Whistler TRX-1 or 2 but be warned, there is a learning curve to use the programming software. I spent about 3 days figuring out how to program the darned thing before I finally got it down pat. Also, they are running around $500 on Amazon and other retailers.
Yeah I just monitor fire really I don’t care to listen to PD or SO even.

Yeah I just monitor fire really I don’t care to listen to PD or SO even.

Then the BCD996P2 would be the best option for saving money and being able to continue to listen should the system switch to Phase 2 operation. Programming will not be that difficult either since you have Pro-106 experience.

Ki4fkl

What is the best downloadable software that would work with the RadioShack programming cable

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here are the latest firmware updates for the Pro-106:

Attachments

• RS PRO-106 197 CPU Firmware Upgrade Instructions v2.1 (2).zip
    616.9 KB · Views: 6

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What is the best downloadable software that would work with the RadioShack programming cable

For programming, there's really only 3 - PSREdit500, ARC500 and Win500 (assuming here that you are using one of the radios that these apps support - that cable is used with MANY different radios). As mentioned previously, Don Starr - the author of Win500 - has not returned messages and not found here in a very long time, and his status is unknown. You can find links to all 3 here...

If you are talking about radios other than what is listed in the above article, I'd encourage you to start a new, more relevant thread....Mike

Ki4fkl

For programming, there's really only 3 - PSREdit500, ARC500 and Win500 (assuming here that you are using one of the radios that these apps support - that cable is used with MANY different radios). As mentioned previously, Don Starr - the author of Win500 - has not returned messages and not found here in a very long time, and his status is unknown. You can find links to all 3 here...

If you are talking about radios other than what is listed in the above article, I'd encourage you to start a new, more relevant thread....Mike
Thank you for that

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use Butel ARC500 software and find it to be excellent for the PSR500, PSR600, Pro-106, Pro-197, Pro-651, Pro-652, WS1040, and WS1065. If you had that software, I would be very happy to do a file and post it for you. Just let me know what all you would like to monitor.

Ki4fkl

I use Butel ARC500 software and find it to be excellent for the PSR500, PSR600, Pro-106, Pro-197, Pro-651, Pro-652, WS1040, and WS1065. If you had that software, I would be very happy to do a file and post it for you. Just let me know what all you would like to monitor.
That would be great I’ll look into the software when I get to the computer! The biggest are the fire agencies in the area. Once I learn the software I’ll try to program other agencies when I’m in their area. I travel a lot

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you travel a lot, you can set up V-Scanner folders in the scanner for your favorite areas and call them up without needing a computer. Each V-Scanner folder contains information for all of the scan lists.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Something else you need - if you don't have them already - are drivers for the cable. It needs a FTDI driver, and I believe a virtual com port - you can start here -I'll let someone who has a new Windows install make comments on which ones to use...

Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
I believe that you need to use the VCP driver. The software programs require a virtual com port to transfer data.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.