Help with Repeater Opeation Setup on a new FT-2900R

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob_2012

I just installed this in my car and I can operate and understand most of the user manual. But I am a little concerned about the proper set up. If a repeater needs a tone freq. and I do not have that set will I not get any conversation from that repeater freq.? Will I hear odd noise?

Also when setting this tone freq. the manual talks about the sql. type and tone freq. but not about the the TX freq. of the repeater, how does it know what tone to use? So as you can see I am a bit confused.

LtDoc

If a repeater requires a tone for accessing it and you don't have that tone programmed into your radio, you will be able to hear the traffic over that repeater but not be able to access/use that repeater. The repeater won't 'hear' you without that tone being present on your signal. That tone is like a 'key' to open the repeater.
There are a number of established tone frequencies, they are 'standardized', and your manual should tell you how to select the proper tone (the repeater information should list that tone too). I'm not familiar with Yaesu's programming so can't tell you how to do that programming.
That 'SQL' thingy is a way of eliminating 'marginal' signals. If a signal isn't strong enough to 'trip' that 'SQL' setting, then it won't be heard. There are instances where that's very handy, but in most cases it just isn't worth messing with. Don't enable it.
Hope that helps...
- 'Doc

rob_2012

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the info on that 'sql' ......Let me ask this for clarification, some repeaters have different tones so when I program the tone Hz of a particular repeater I would also think then I would have to also assign the TX Frequency or the RX Frequency with it as well right? I am assuming this but when I went to program the tone I never saw the menu mention the MHz freq.

In my area of Fairhaven, MA seen here: SCMARG - South Coast Massachusetts Amateur Radio Group

Rob

unitcalling

IF you know how to program the repeater in memory, just program the tone when you write it to memory. Each memory channel can has a different tone. If you have already programmed it without the tone, goto the channel in memory you want to modify, go into the menu settings to the Tone settings and select the correct tone. Re-write it to the same memory channel as before.

As far as the separate TX RX frequency, that is the repeater shift, and they are auto programmed to shift up or down from the factory. If you need to change the offset you can. Some older repeaters don't follow the current defaults.

rob_2012

IF you know how to program the repeater in memory, just program the tone when you write it to memory. Each memory channel can has a different tone. If you have already programmed it without the tone, goto the channel in memory you want to modify, go into the menu settings to the Tone settings and select the correct tone. Re-write it to the same memory channel as before.

As far as the separate TX RX frequency, that is the repeater shift, and they are auto programmed to shift up or down from the factory. If you need to change the offset you can. Some older repeaters don't follow the current defaults.

Got it now, thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.