Help with Retevis RT95

GKLdiy88

The antenna is the most important factor in that. The difference between a 5 watt HT and a 25 watt mobile is real, but it's all about the antenna. UHF tends to be line of sight, so "seeing" the other antenna is important.

Thanks, understood, after all I spent recently I likely would need to wait a little while before considering buying a larger antenna for outdoor, I am considering maybe seeing if I can make my own outdoor antenna from stuff I already have, I have some long PVC pipes sitting around, I'll have to research several DIY antennas I have seen people post online how they made them, just have to see what might be easiest for me to try.

In the meantime I will see what the Tram 1185 magnetic mount antenna can do after I receive the 25 watt radio, hopefully it will surprise me while I am considering building a DIY antenna !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Get that Tram antenna outside and up as high as you safely can, and it should work.

Making your own base antenna isn't hard. Look up "DIY Quarter Wave Antenna" and you'll find what you need. You can build one of those with a coax connector and some cheap parts from your local hardware store.

GKLdiy88

Get that Tram antenna outside and up as high as you safely can, and it should work.

Making your own base antenna isn't hard. Look up "DIY Quarter Wave Antenna" and you'll find what you need. You can build one of those with a coax connector and some cheap parts from your local hardware store.

Thanks !

I just put it in a search engine and looks like there are plenty of results to check out ! (I like to do a lot of study and research before making something I never made before)

GKLdiy88

Still researching whether to make an inexpensive antenna or if there is a very inexpensive one worth buying.

In the meantime I can use my Tram 1185 and see how that does after I am able to power up the radio.

.....my radio came today ! Yea !!!! ......it looks neat, but I soon had a "DUH !" moment :ROFLMAO:

With this being my first ham radio other than the HT I already had I soon realized the SMA connector on the end of the Tram 1185 antenna cable was not going to fit the antenna input of the RT95 :ROFLMAO: so I had to order Coax Adapter SMA Female to UHF Male PL-259

So I will wait till after that arrives before finally powering up and turning on my new RT95 as I do not want to risk accidentally transmitting without having an antenna connected.