Help with Retevis RT95

GKLdiy88

okay, after researching reviews on the above model I am concerned it has no cooling fan and is supposed to only be able to run 15 minutes at full power before shutting down.

Okay, I found out even the high end model Astron does't use fans. Also, full power would mean transmitting for 15 minutes non-stop and obviously that is highly unlikely with ham radio to talk 15 minutes non-stop :ROFLMAO:

N4KVE

The linear Astrons with the 20 pound transformers do not use a fan, but the switchers do. And decades ago before Astron made switchers, I’d put a few 3” fans to blow on the cooling fins. Turns out that was a waste of time because they never got warm.

GKLdiy88

The linear Astrons with the 20 pound transformers do not use a fan, but the switchers do. And decades ago before Astron made switchers, I’d put a few 3” fans to blow on the cooling fins. Turns out that was a waste of time because they never got warm.

Interesting to know !

Just got me thinking that you would think since adding a fan would be a minor expense for a manufacturer to include if it was really needed so I would think they feel it's not needed in the models they don't include one in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Okay, this is more than I want to squeeze out of my tight hobby budget right after buying the RT95 but it is listed right now at 35% off, what do y'all think ?

12 amp power supply link

it is a 12 amp 13.8v power supply !

(if I get it I'll just have to control my buying to much hobby stuff for a while :D :ROFLMAO: )

Pyramid's do not have the best reputation when held up against some of the better name brands.
But, it's hobby use, not life safety, and if it is within your budget, it would be fine.

There's always something "better", but reality is we have budgets and we have to stay within those constraints. Maybe you end up replacing this in 7-8 years, big deal, you'll get your money out of it.

GKLdiy88

Pyramid's do not have the best reputation when held up against some of the better name brands.
But, it's hobby use, not life safety, and if it is within your budget, it would be fine.

There's always something "better", but reality is we have budgets and we have to stay within those constraints. Maybe you end up replacing this in 7-8 years, big deal, you'll get your money out of it.

Yep, when you said there's "always something better" it sure seems that way :ROFLMAO: the more I research stuff I'd like to get I often seem to find something that looks better for just a little more, then something even better than that for just a little more and so on :ROFLMAO:

And the premium price I'd need to pay for a top name brand power supply would likely instead have me thinking I'd rather put to extra expense into a better radio as it would seem strange to have a power supply that cost twice as much or more than my radio :ROFLMAO:

Hey, for the discounted price I am getting that one at if I can feel reasonably assured of getting even 5+ years out of it I'll be glad to upgrade some after that :ROFLMAO:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It should be fine.
And you have the right attitude. If you find one that is in your budget and works for what you need, then it's the right one. You can always spend more, but sometimes all that gets you is bragging rights.

I do have one of the big name power supplies, and it's been running pretty much non-stop since 1997. I'd say I got my money out of it, but I got it for free.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
How much current (amps) does the radio draw when transmitting at full rated power? You will need to find out. I suggest you then find a power supply has a continuous current rating at least 150% of the radio's current draw.

There are two basic types of power supplies. Linear power supplies use fairly simple technology, have a large transformer, are heavy, somewhat inefficient, and generally do not have a fan. Switch mode power supplies, aka switching power supplies, use more complex technology, have smaller transformers, are lighter, generally more efficient, and generally have a fan.

GKLdiy88

It should be fine.
And you have the right attitude. If you find one that is in your budget and works for what you need, then it's the right one. You can always spend more, but sometimes all that gets you is bragging rights.

I do have one of the big name power supplies, and it's been running pretty much non-stop since 1997. I'd say I got my money out of it, but I got it for free.

Wow, since 1997 ? Even if you had paid regular price that would have been great, but for free makes it even better ! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, I have an attitude of being happy with what I can get, not saying it wouldn't be nice to have more powerful top notch stuff, but I have no problem with making the most of and having fun with the hobby stuff I can get. (and part of the fun is realizing how much fun I can have without having spent a huge amount of money :ROFLMAO:)

GKLdiy88

How much current (amps) does the radio draw when transmitting at full rated power? You will need to find out. I suggest you then find a power supply has a continuous current rating at least 150% of the radio's current draw.

There are two basic types of power supplies. Linear power supplies use fairly simple technology, have a large transformer, are heavy, somewhat inefficient, and generally do not have a fan. Switch mode power supplies, aka switching power supplies, use more complex technology, have smaller transformers, are lighter, generally more efficient, and generally have a fan.

I haven't gotten delivery on the radio yet, but from what the online PDF of the manual says the radio has 10 amp fuses so I would think the manufacturer allowed for the max possible full power draw when it made it with 10 amp fuses, and I would think the max current draw would be a reasonable amount below 10 amps as I would hope the manufacturer didn't design it to push the current draw to right below 10 amps. Now I could be wrong about that, but I would hope the manufacturer allowed a reasonable cushion when they included 10 amp fuses.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wow, since 1997 ? Even if you had paid regular price that would have been great, but for free makes it even better ! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it ran in our dispatch center for years, then was retired when we moved them. I took it home and used it to drive a radio that let me monitor some of the systems from home. Other than rare power outages at my house, and the trip home, that's been it. Before I installed it in my house, I opened up the case and blew out all the dust.

Thanks, I have an attitude of being happy with what I can get, not saying it wouldn't be nice to have more powerful top notch stuff, but I have no problem with making the most of and having fun with the hobby stuff I can get. (and part of the fun is realizing how much fun I can have without having spent a huge amount of money :ROFLMAO:)

I used to work for a guy that would say "Over engineering isn't necessarily good engineering". In other words, buying the biggest/best isn't always the right choice. Budgets are a real thing.

Something I've noticed frequently in hobbies is that no matter what you buy, how much you spend, how much effort you put into it, someone will come in and tell you what you did wrong, why you should have spent more, etc.
It's a hobby. If it works and it is safe, you are all good in my book. Idea is to have fun, not try and impress everyone else. There are certainly products you want to avoid, and some that are better than others, but fun should take priority.

GKLdiy88

Yeah, it ran in our dispatch center for years, then was retired when we moved them. I took it home and used it to drive a radio that let me monitor some of the systems from home. Other than rare power outages at my house, and the trip home, that's been it. Before I installed it in my house, I opened up the case and blew out all the dust.

I used to work for a guy that would say "Over engineering isn't necessarily good engineering". In other words, buying the biggest/best isn't always the right choice. Budgets are a real thing.

Something I've noticed frequently in hobbies is that no matter what you buy, how much you spend, how much effort you put into it, someone will come in and tell you what you did wrong, why you should have spent more, etc.
It's a hobby. If it works and it is safe, you are all good in my book. Idea is to have fun, not try and impress everyone else. There are certainly products you want to avoid, and some that are better than others, but fun should take priority.

Yep, good points, it's meant to be a fun hobby, and it's a fun challenge to make the best of what you can afford, with the emphasis on fun !

As far as products, I do a lot of research to try to get the best within my price range, because if a product has more negative reviews than positive it's not worth saving a few dollars and buying extra cheap if it's that poor in quality. Now it is almost impossible to find any products without any negative reviews, you can find a product with a 4 out of 5 star rating where maybe 80% gave it 5 stars but maybe 15% gave it one star, it amazes me how the same product can get such extreme differences in reviews :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: sometimes it takes a lot of research but it's worth it to get something that is both within your price range and still seems worth getting.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use a 30 AH sealed lead acid battery for my backup/portable power supply for my portable HF rig. When not in use, I keep it on a trickle charger so it is always ready to go.

GKLdiy88

I use a 30 AH sealed lead acid battery for my backup/portable power supply for my portable HF rig. When not in use, I keep it on a trickle charger so it is always ready to go.

Neat, so do you use the battery for just when you get to a location away from home with no plugs for a power supply, or do you also use it in your car so as to not have to have a wired up a connection to the car battery ?

.....or are you saying you just use the battery at home instead of using a power supply at all ?

So what is the average price of the type of 30 AH sealed lead acid battery you use ?

I'm thinking that might be something I might consider getting later in addition to having a power supply so as to be able to still use the radio in the house during any power outages. (we very very rarely have an outage, so it's not something I need to get right away)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I don't use HF in the car, just too many controls that are awkward to get at and distracting. For my scanners and receivers, the USB ports in the car are more than sufficient. My battery is actually a jump starter case with a lighter outlet and small built in work light. It is used mainly when I want to set up a temporary HF rig or backup for ARES during power outages.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
If you are going to buy a generic power supply like that, look for one made by Meanwell. They may, or may not, be more reliable than a no-name brand that may be here today, gone tomorrow.

And, as mmckenna said, pay attention to proper protection on the 120 VAC side. Those power supplies are intended to go in other equipment where they are protected by the equipment's housing. They are not intended to sit naked on a desk or shelf.

I’ve had very good luck with Meanwell. Just make sure to buy from a reputable place (I use Jameco) as Meanwell is copied a lot.

GKLdiy88

I don't use HF in the car, just too many controls that are awkward to get at and distracting. For my scanners and receivers, the USB ports in the car are more than sufficient. My battery is actually a jump starter case with a lighter outlet and small built in work light. It is used mainly when I want to set up a temporary HF rig or backup for ARES during power outages.

Neat idea - "a jump starter case with a lighter outlet" should make it easier to carry and to connect !

GKLdiy88

I’ve had very good luck with Meanwell. Just make sure to buy from a reputable place (I use Jameco) as Meanwell is copied a lot.

Thanks for the alert, but I already ordered a model that is safely enclosed and does not need to be enclosed within other equipment, but it's still good to know to watch out for copied equipment !

GKLdiy88

Bummer man, my Retevis RT95 was supposed to arrive today but Amazon put my mailing label on someone else's package and we got their order by mistake, about maybe $20 worth of stuff we would have never ordered ourselves.

I talked to Amazon on the phone and explained the mistake their fulfillment center made and they are resending the order at no charge (since we already paid for it). I got a label to send back the package that we received in error. I hope the people who got our package by mistake is honest enough to call Amazon and arrange to return it.

The extra waiting is not a super big deal since my programming cable and T-connector wire won't get here till next week anyhow, but it would had been nice to look at the radio in the meantime while waiting for the other necessities :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GKLdiy88

Got my Pyramid 12 Amp Linear Regulated power supply today, still waiting on my radio, I figure with up to 25 watts I should be able to finally make my first contact, the 5 watt HT I have has very very very occasionally received a transmission, but seems not strong enough to transmit far enough from my location for anyone to hear me. (at least not yet :ROFLMAO: )