• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with RPM2 Dongles

qc

Feed Provider
What is the difference between the RPM2 Master and Distribution Dongles? Just getting started with Harris

Any help would be appreciated.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What is the difference between the RPM2 Master and Distribution Dongles? Just getting started with Harris

Any help would be appreciated.

Master dongle allows you to create distribution dongles. They’re very tightly held.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Apparently all dongles in Colorado can be hacked and therefore there is no market for Harris radios in Colorado per the CCNC (Consolidated Communications Network of Colorado). They will ONLY allow Kenwood, or Motorola. NO HARRIS or L3H hardware will be allowed.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Apparently all dongles in Colorado can be hacked and therefore there is no market for Harris radios in Colorado per the CCNC (Consolidated Communications Network of Colorado). They will ONLY allow Kenwood, or Motorola. NO HARRIS or L3H hardware will be allowed.
Because we all know MSI has the most secure radio programming software of all the major players.

Whew! Typed that without spitting my mouthful of tea all over my keyboard. :p

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Good thing it’s limited to CO and they can’t hack outside that state. Yup.

Sounds like the people at CCNC are a special kind of stupid. Or they’ve been paid off.

DisasterGuy

A Harris AAC dongle gets its system authorization from its serial number back to Harris. A master dongle can be used to restrict the functions of a distribution dongle (RID range, TG range, etc).

The idea that Harris’ ACC is less secure than Motorola is laughable. As someone that manages a large fleet of radios from several vendors on a large public safety system I can assure you that I can “hack” and put any system that I want in a Motorola radio using the SYSKey tool that is all over the internet. I can’t do the same thing with a Harris radio. The ONLY way this was possible was pre-AAC using RPM10 or earlier and that is very old software that will not work on any current radio in production.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
A Harris AAC dongle gets its system authorization from its serial number back to Harris. A master dongle can be used to restrict the functions of a distribution dongle (RID range, TG range, etc).

The idea that Harris’ ACC is less secure than Motorola is laughable. As someone that manages a large fleet of radios from several vendors on a large public safety system I can assure you that I can “hack” and put any system that I want in a Motorola radio using the SYSKey tool that is all over the internet. I can’t do the same thing with a Harris radio. The ONLY way this was possible was pre-AAC using RPM10 or earlier and that is very old software that will not work on any current radio in production.
Can’t you do the same with the hacked version of RPM 14 that’s all over the internet also?

DisasterGuy

Can’t you do the same with the hacked version of RPM 14 that’s all over the internet also?
Maybe? Either way RPM14 isn’t going to program any current production radio or radio with appropriate firmware that should be in use for this public safety / public service.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Maybe? Either way RPM14 isn’t going to program any current production radio or radio with appropriate firmware that should be in use for this public safety / public service.
It's rumored that RPM2 is hacked and that programs the current production stuff which is in use with public safety. And no dongle is needed. So, what about this???

2wayfreq

Premium Subscriber
It's rumored that RPM2 is hacked and that programs the current production stuff which is in use with public safety. And no dongle is needed. So, what about this???
If True, So much for "Super Secure" Harris. I always thought they were the most secure and "Unhackable" of them all.

merlin

I can only say Harris is secure and limited by how securely system admins and site managers keep, store, and distribute the keys/dongles.
Like a password, if strong enough, only you know it, it is never divulged or written, it can be considered secure.
You divulge that password to 3 people, then 4 have access, any one of those 4 leak, you are no longer secure.
Those dongles are very limited, each one with a hard coded serial number. They can be stolen, copied, sold, but that is the compromise.
Then you have the security breach.

Last edited:

TDR-94

Well, it's primarily a public safety product and not really in the same realm as the dedicated L3HARRIS's DoD/Government products.

Last edited: