Help with San Diego County RCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokeswigga

Hello,

I have input the San Diego County RCS into my 2096.

It seems to be working fine, I can hear talk groups on the
South Zone, and Sierra Rojo, but whenever something on the North Zone transmits, all I hear is static. I have the control channels for all three in the same bank, they are all set to MOT, the bank is set to MOT. Any ideas?

Also when one talk group transmits, say for example San Diego Sheriff San Marcos Dispatch, does it only transmit on zones in that area. For example:
I can hear San Marcos Dispatch ok on the Sierra Rojo, but I never hear is on the South Zone. The Talkgroup ID shows up on the North Zone but because of the problem listed above, it shows a strong signal, but all I hear is static.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Dave

disp10

Premium Subscriber
North Zone is a splinter system, and needs to be set as such in the radio.

Another problem could be multiple control channels in one bank. I believe the Pro-2096 just locks on the first one it finds, so if you are in range of more than one you may want to seperate them into individual banks.

The way I do it on my Pro-96 is I have one bank for North Loop, one for South Loop, and one for the east loop and intellirepeaters. That seems to make it easy while traveling the county and being in range of multiple systems.

Cokeswigga

I will have to try that setting.

The South Zone worked fine. It was not set a splinter zone.

Are all the San Diego RCS zones a splinter zone?

Last edited:

Cokeswigga

Next time I head down to san diego I will try that... however in the manual I found this:

"Splinter systems exist only in the 800 MHz band, and only
use the 3600 bps control channel type. Setting splinter
confi guration on VHF, UHF, 900 MHz and 800 MHz
APCO-25 systems will have no effect."

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Cokeswigga said:
Next time I head down to san diego I will try that... however in the manual I found this:

"Splinter systems exist only in the 800 MHz band, and only
use the 3600 bps control channel type."
From San Diego RSC data page - 800MHz Motorola Type II SmartZone. P25 trunking is 9600 bps and is not Motorola.

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
I have both north and south zone set as Type II 800 MHz splinter.

Normally, you should enter the zones as seperate systems, not in the same system. Some scanners (I believe) will switch from zone to zone every few seconds, but many simply stop on the first control channel they see a valid signal on, and stay there until such time as they lose signal somehow, whichever zone that control channel happens to be.

The way smart zones work, a transmission on a given talkgroup is sent over any zone that has a mobile currently affiliated with that group. So a nominally 'North Zone' talkgroup, like San Marcos Dispatch', will appear on North Zone, but will also be sent on South Zone if any unit is affiliated with that group via the South Zone controller.

Last edited:

Cokeswigga

Ok... So I am back from san diego,

I did set it to splinter and I worked great, thanks for the suggestion. I guess I misunderstood when I saw APCO-25 under the system voice, that according to the RS -2096 manual, setting splinter would have no effect.

I did still have the North and South Zone control channels in the same bank, and it found the north zone just fine. I did not however scan from the sierra rojo site.

I guess my next step will need to be to make a North Zone Bank, South Zone bank, and sierra Rojo Bank etc....

frawel07

Hello all, I am very new to the scanner world. I am also trying to program the San Diego RSC information from the site into my new radio. The radio is a Uniden BC246T. I was able to program and received all San Diego City channels with no problem and also many conventional systems without any problems. I have tried numerous times to get the RSC information to work with little luck. I even tried as suggested here in this thread to change to a splinter setup and programming only the south area and still have problems. What I am experiencing is voice reception on very few channels and on a lot of others it will stop scanning and appear to have so sort of transmission as though it was a machine generated noise ( I do not believe static) I also do not receive many of my talk group IDs that are programed into the scanner but instead receive a lot of ID numbers. I suspect this may be because the scanner will only accept 200 channels per system and I appears that there are around 500-600 in the RSC system. I know my explnation is clear as mud here but I hope this is enough information for someone to at least send me in the right direction or please let me know if I need to include additional information for this to make sense. Thanks,,,

JoeyC

frawel07 said:
Hello all, I am very new to the scanner world. I am also trying to program the San Diego RSC information from the site into my new radio. The radio is a Uniden BC246T. I was able to program and received all San Diego City channels with no problem and also many conventional systems without any problems. I have tried numerous times to get the RSC information to work with little luck. I even tried as suggested here in this thread to change to a splinter setup and programming only the south area and still have problems. What I am experiencing is voice reception on very few channels and on a lot of others it will stop scanning and appear to have so sort of transmission as though it was a machine generated noise ( I do not believe static) I also do not receive many of my talk group IDs that are programed into the scanner but instead receive a lot of ID numbers. I suspect this may be because the scanner will only accept 200 channels per system and I appears that there are around 500-600 in the RSC system. I know my explnation is clear as mud here but I hope this is enough information for someone to at least send me in the right direction or please let me know if I need to include additional information for this to make sense. Thanks,,,

Since all of the law enforcement except for Law Air and LE Tacs are DIGITAL, you will not hear anything but machine gunning noise on those talkgroups. The 246 is analog only. You can only hear the analog talkgroups (those below 30000) with that scanner.

frawel07

JoeyC, Thanks for the response. Now I got it. I assume that the (Mode) column designates analog or digital. If this is a correct assumption what would a code of "E" mean. Sorry for all the dumb questions. It looks like its time to upgrade to a digital radio??

Thanks again

JoeyC

frawel07 said:
JoeyC, Thanks for the response. Now I got it. I assume that the (Mode) column designates analog or digital. If this is a correct assumption what would a code of "E" mean. Sorry for all the dumb questions. It looks like its time to upgrade to a digital radio??

Thanks again

You got it! The E means encrypted, and no scanner will decrypt those. If you don't care to listen to law enforcement, then you won't need a digital radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.