Help with Scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

StMiLo

I don't know which forum to put this in but, I have a lot of down time and just want some type of entertainment to listen to so I'm looking to add some scanner frequencies into my two way but I don't know which ones to add. What are the most common frequencies everyone listens to?

frazpo

Start with the forum that included your location. There is a state section in the forums.

StMiLo

Start with the forum that included your location. There is a state section in the forums.

ok I've checked out my state and there are so many from Amateur radio to Government agencies... so which ones am I able to add to my radio?

frazpo

Post your request in that specific state forum and advise users of your location. Your city and suburb area for example. You should also post what your interested in what you would like to listen to. What scanner do you have? Brand and model?

StMiLo

It's a two way radio, kenwood tk-3180. so it's technically not a scanner per se.. I just want something to listen to while I'm sitting around doing nothing.

kenwood tk-3180

It's a two way radio, kenwood tk-3180. so it's technically not a scanner per se.. I just want something to listen to while I'm sitting around doing nothing.

Is it UHF or VHF? You do know it is illegall to transmit on it on public safety freqs.You problerly should have a quilified tech to program it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Is it UHF or VHF? You do know it is illegall to transmit on it on public safety freqs.You problerly should have a quilified tech to program it.

UHF, the OP stated,in the post you responded to, that he has a TK-3180. The OP never mentioned that he wanted to transmit. The TK-3180, like most LMR radios can be programmed for receive only...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

StMiLo

Yes I do know that it is illegal to transmit. I'm not using the radio to talk to other people, like I said before I just want something to listen to while I'm sitting around the house. It's better than the news to me, because you can catch things the the news won't show on t.v. Then again you probably heard something from the scanner that actually appears on t.v. That's what makes this so interesting to me.

StMiLo

UHF, the OP stated,in the post you responded to, that he has a TK-3180. The OP never mentioned that he wanted to transmit. The TK-3180, like most LMR radios can be programmed for receive only...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes this radio is UHF and yes you can program these radios to receive only. I've at least learned that much. Hence the reason for looking for scanner frequencies.... Now back to my original question????? Which of these frequencies are the most common for observing random BS in Illinois.. lol

teufler

What location in illinois. ?? Many of the cities have moved to 800 trunking, digital systems or are going to in the near future. With a uhf radio only, you might not have much that you can monitor. For example, peoria has some but they have posted schedules that they will be moving to new systems in 2014. There are schools, hospitals, some fire frequencies, air support that is on uhf though.

Status
Not open for further replies.