Help with scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpvo8

Feed Provider
Hi there. I'm wondering if a Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker will work for what I need. I would like to listen to Phoenix Fire A Deck and K Decks, MCSO, DPS and Scottsdale PD. Does the Uniden BCD325P2 provide all that?

janetball1994

I suppose it depends on how you define "handle." Two flavors here: 1) the BCD325P2 will "handle [tune]" all the requisite frequencies, but 2) the like the BCD x36HP series, the BCD325P2 is lousy at simulcast -- read Scottsdale PD et al.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
There is a slim chance that will make you happy (if you live in a "sweet spot"), but odds are you will need an SDS100/200 or a Unication G4/5 to be happy. The scanner you mention is not good on LSM (simulcast) and will struggle in most locations.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Hi there. I'm wondering if a Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker will work for what I need. I would like to listen to Phoenix Fire A Deck and K Decks, MCSO, DPS and Scottsdale PD. Does the Uniden BCD325P2 provide all that?

I have a 325P2 and use it when I'm in the valley. Monitoring the Phx FD A & K decks are going to be dependant on your location with any scanner. An outside antenna will greatly improve your reception over the stock handheld antenna, but circumstances may not allow. MCSO is fairly easy with White Tanks and Thompson Peak both being strong repeaters throughout the valley. Scottsdale PD is on Simulcast H & Thompson Peak and and reception will be dependant on your location. I have had many scanners over the years and all of them have been good in some areas and horrible in others. The Simulcast systems are more challenging and can be even for the SDS scanners that were designed for them.

AzTac

I know people get tired of hearing it, nor did you ask, but if you really want to eliminate all the problems with simulcast (and there are many especially with the notoriously difficult Scottsdale PD part of the system) save yourself a lot of time, money, and hassle and buy a Unication receiver. Take if from someone in Scottsdale who has tried everything (including the SDS200) - you'll be thrilled with a Unication unit.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I know people get tired of hearing it, nor did you ask, but if you really want to eliminate all the problems with simulcast (and there are many especially with the notoriously difficult Scottsdale PD part of the system) save yourself a lot of time, money, and hassle and buy a Unication receiver. Take if from someone in Scottsdale who has tried everything (including the SDS200) - you'll be thrilled with a Unication unit.

Agreed, there is absolutely, positively, no comparison to the Unication G4/5 if you want great simulcast reception, on all simulcasts, everywhere, even from great distances. I own one, as well as the SDS100 & SDS200 (with rooftop discone w/ 30' feed point), and I've done extensive testing and comparison testing with these and many other digital scanners. I won't give up my scanners because I like being able to have multiple simulcasts scanning at once (only one simulcast at a time with the Unications), and because they receive my most important simulcasts where I need them to be received (locations).

However, when everything else fails to work, the Unication G4/5 will not fail. The Unications are in between scanners (toys) and public safety radio equipment, closer to the public safety equipment than scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.