Help with SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
i got the IEIK SDRMCX RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T. Great SDR for SDR#, Low-Cost Software Defined Radio Compatible with Many SDR Software Packages and i am not sure why its not reading the device and i installe the cd software and the software off the website and i am not sure whats going on

slicerwizard

What software did you install? If it came on a CD with the SDR, you probably should not have installed it.

You need to run Zadig to install the correct device driver, then install SDR programs (like SDR#)

thewraith2008

Run "install-rtlsdr.bat" from the SDR# folder with a internet connection.
This will download the DLL and Zadig to that folder.

If you installed the driver off the CD use Zadig to remove as slicerwizard recommended.

Here is how Windows Software [rtlsdr.org wiki]

Cheers.

thewraith2008

The "RTL2832U & R820T" will get you out of the gate with SDR. The R820T2 is supposed to be a little better. The RTL-SDR is better again.

Baby steps. SDR has alot to discover. See where it takes you then decide how much money to spend.

thewraith2008

Did you do as instructed in posts above?. Is the dongle show up. In SDR# select the little gear next to the play button. Under device. Should be "Generic RTL2332U OEM (0)"
If not drive not installed right.

Last edited:

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Open Zadig and reinstall the driver for your dongle. If you ran the cd that came with the dongle you have the wrong driver installed.

majoco

Stirrer
If you ran the cd that came with the dongle you have the wrong driver installed.

...and if you ran the CD that came with the SDR, you'll have to hunt around in your computer and delete the driver.

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
ok i uninstalled the software and readded it and i am still getting when i try to play the frequency that i inputed shows me that it cant access the RTL device... so is there any other answer to this problem.

thewraith2008

"uninstalled the software and readded it"
What software?

Did you follow instructions on page given in post #7

People are trying to help, but your not saying if your doing any of it. Give as details of your actions.

Cheers.

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
the software i am talking about is from the airspy.com the SDR free software and when i download it and then unzip it and then open the zadig file and then connect the RTL-SDR usb to the computer and so go through the steps that is shown on the screen and then i open the file SDR sharp and run that and then i try to run the SDR sharp file and i keep getting a error message saying cant access the RTL device.

thewraith2008

For Windows only (7 and up) What OS are you using.

With no programs running, Plug in dongle. Does windows make the USB connect sound?
If no, troubleshoot your USB port.
If yes continue.

Zip SDR# into folder of your choice.
In that folder, Double click ''install-rtlsdr.bat'. MUST have access to then net as it downloads a zip file with a DLL and zadig.exe you need with SDR#.
If this completes then check that 2 extra files are in SDR# folder "rtlsdr.dll" and zadig.exe.

Run zadig and follow instructions to the letter at this page: Setup dongle driver [rtlsdr.org wiki]
This must install successfully.

Unplug dongle from USB then reconnect to USB.

Start SDR#
Make sure your source is RTL-SDR (USB). If not select it.
Click the little gear next to the play button. Under device it should be "Generic RTL2332U OEM (0)" or use drop down box and select it. see image.

If not, driver not still not installed right.

Report back how it goes and with a bit of detail.

NOTE: If you are using Win XP you need to use the XP version of zadig

Status
Not open for further replies.