• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with TK-790 tuning and programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

officerdave

Retired LEO
All

I need to talk with someone off line that is well versed in the 790 series. We run 7 on our local channel, separate from our main dispatch system. I am having issues with front panel tuning parameters and some program questions. We have a shop that does our Kenwood work, but I try and get the basics done in house. Thanks

my email is :

rangerd4ever@yahoo.com

Thanks!

officer dave

officerdave

Retired LEO
Sorry guys should have asked for replies in Private Message on this site. Ignore the email I posted.

We are having an issue with our repeater channel not having our PL tone , when the officers take the mike off hook. I thought I had each channel programmed correctly but it appears not. We are co channel with another department about 70 air miles from us. However when VHF is hot , they can talk over us even with DPL enabled. Not sure what is going on. Thanks

officer dave

weedacres

Doesn't the radio go into Monitor when off hook?
Once the mic is off hook you'll pick up anything on that frequency. That's the way all of mine work.

Dave

ajohansson

optional features 1 - "off hook decode" is an option. Im looking at kpg44D Fire Service version.

AJ

officerdave

Retired LEO
yep I thought it was off hook pl on or off . Off Hook PL off, is usually used with community or business repeaters that run co channel. I will check my setting again on Monday. I am still learning how to program and tune kenwoods. Been a radio user and hobbyist for a long time, but that does not make me a tech .

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
FYI, the Help in the Windows version of KPG-44D explains what the settings do. I've found it very useful when I'm looking at a setting and scratching my head.

weedacres

For some reason I thought that Off Hook Decode applied to 2-T decode. After reading this and looking at the help screens I've learned a lot. I checked all of my programs and do have it enabled, so I guess I'm good.
Thanks for all the information, this forum is great!

Dave

officerdave

Retired LEO
thanks all

I am front panel tuning the radios and in narrowband I have set tight squelch to 220 and open squelch to 195. Under the program options I have set all channels to a squelch of 10 and disable the squelch button on our control heads. These setting seem to hold and keep out the other narrowband high power repeater that has been an issue.

Anyone else using front panel tuning to set squelch in narrowband please chime in. If all else fails, I will have to get these to the radio shop to tune them off a service monitor .

Thank all

officer dave

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave. I just front panel programmed the squelch on one of our TK-790 FS/CDF to test and see if it blocks some of the white noise we have been experiencing. I set the regular squelch at 0 for now but used 220 and 165 in the service mode. What I can hear so far is an improvement.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
We've been setting ours to the same 220/165 and it has made all the difference in the world, especially with channels without a receive PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.