• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with TK-8150 and CTCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

elijahkan14

Hey guys I'm just getting into GMRS and recently purchased a Kenwood TK-8150. Originally I was going to just use simplex but I was actually able to find a repeater.

I'm having a couple issues connecting to the repeater.

I have two radios setup, one being the Kenwood TK-8150 and the other being a Baofeng UV-5R.

I set both of them up (I think) with the PL tones and I can hear the Baofeng on the Kenwood but not vice versa. If i talk into the Kenwood I hear nothing on the Baofeng and then as soon as I release the PTT i hear static and the "beep" from the repeater. So the repeater hears me but for some reason my voice isn't going through? I am a little confused by the software for the Kenwood. To set the PL tones I set the QT/DQT Dec and Enc to the PL tone for the repeater, is there anything else I have to do? I read online that QT/DQT is the same as PL/CTCSS. Do I need to set the "Opt Signal" option? It shows DTMF, 2-tone, and "Fleetsync" which I don't know what any of these are...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sorry if my terminology is lacking, I've only been into GMRS for a couple weeks.

KJ6ZNS

First a warning - the UV-5R is not certified for Part 95 use. Will it work on GMRS? Yes. Are some people using it on GMRS? Yes. Is it legal? NO!

Off the soap box, you have been warned!

I would recommend that you first program the radio with the transmit frequency and tone (encode) and the receive frequency and NO CTCSS tone (decode). Not all repeaters transmit or pass the tone. If you can hear the transmission, then you are activating the repeater and the encode tone is correct. Then add the CTCSS/decode tone into ONE radio and try again. If that works add the CTCSS/decode tone to the other radio and you should be all set.

Keep in mind, SOME repeaters may use split tones. One tone on the input, and a different tone on the output. This keeps people from getting the output tone from a scanner and entering the same code for input, it won't activate the repeater (sneaky).

PL/tone/encode/enc/QT usually mean the same thing - the input tone to the repeater. i.e 107.2

CTCSS/decode usually mean the same thing - output tone from the repeater. i.e. 88.5

Putting a D in front - DPL/Dcs/Dec/DQT usually indicates DIGITAL tones are used. i.e D205

Just take things one step at a time. That way if things are working at steps 1 & 2 but fail at step 3, you only have to analyze one step to see what happened.

Good luck

Tim
KJ6ZNS
WQTT518

Last edited:

KJ6ZNS

As far as the options, if you are unable to acquire information, turn them all off, then try them ONE AT A TIME. You most likely will want DTMF, 2 tone, and Fleetsync off. I'm not sure about Opt Signal, but turn it off first.

elijahkan14

I was able to get it working, I was only using the Beofeng as a receiver, transmitted only to test. I figured out that I was simply too close to the Kenwood and there was a bit of interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.