help with trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5bnv

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with programming my scanner for trunking. I have a radio shack pro-2053 scanner and i live in northwest arkansas. I have no clue on how to program the scanner to pick up awin. I have the software and cable for the scanner if someone could help me make a data file to upload to the scanner. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with programming my scanner for trunking. I have a radio shack pro-2053 scanner and i live in northwest arkansas. I have no clue on how to program the scanner to pick up awin. I have the software and cable for the scanner if someone could help me make a data file to upload to the scanner. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rodger,

Unfortunately, there's no way you'd be able to program your Pro-2053 to pick up the AWIN system. AWIN is a fully digital system, whereas your Pro-2053 scanner is an analog only unit.

If you'll go to the database page for AWIN, there are two things to look at.
First, under "System type", it says "Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)". Project 25 is a type of trunk system, utilizing digital technology.
Second, under "System voice", you'll see "APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive". That means all transmissions on the system are digital, at all times.

For your Pro-2053, the system types it can trunk track are listed in the section labeled as "RR System Compatibility" on it's page in the Wiki. Also listed is the "system voice" is can monitor, which for your scanner is analog.

For AWIN, you'd need a digital trunk tracker, capable of handling a Project 25 system. Current models would include:

Uniden: BCD396XT (handheld) or BCD996XT (base/mobile). The previous models (BCD396T & BCD996T), both discontinued, but still available from a few dealers, and often posted in the classifieds here, would also work.

GRE: PSR500 (handheld) or PSR600 (base/mobile). Note: These two scanners are also sold with minor cosmetic changes under Radio Shack model #s Pro-106 & Pro-197 respectively.

The older Radio Shack digital trunk trackers (Pro-96, handheld, & Pro-2096, base/mobile) have been discontinued for quite a while, but still show up in the for sale section here. These would work for most of AWIN, except for the handful of sites that use 700mhz frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.