Help with WS 1080 please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ia_teacher

Hello everyone

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I just bought a Whistler WS 1080 (I THOUGHT I was buying the new TX-1 but I didn't read carefully.). Anyway, on one of the Wiki entries here it says with a firmware upgrade this scanner should be able to receive the DRM and MOTOTRBO tranmissions (which my local public safety uses). I got the firmware to update successfully, imported from the SD card what I wanted to hear and...... nothing! I can't seem to get any transmissions on the scanner at all. The squelch is down and it says it's scanning but I get nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
Is there an A on the display? you may have the attenuator on.

Can you see scanlists moving about on your screen or does it say scanning?
Did you enter your zip code and check off all the types of services you wanted?
How far are you from a city?
Did you use the up/down buttons (while its scanning) to turn volume to at least 20?
Keep the scanner away from TVs,routers,computers,ipads and light dimmers for best reception.

ia_teacher

No, there is no A on the display.

It says scanning and there is an arrow that moves but I don't see the scanlists doing anything.

I entered my state and city and then checked off all the PD AND FD's in the list.

I live right in the city I'm trying to monitor.

I'll check the volume when I get back to the scanner

Thanks for the suggestions

ia_teacher

I wonder if I'm missing a step or something along the way because I tried importing 9 channels (all PD/FD) but when I go to Browse Objects and scroll through the scanlist all I see is: Musc Fire 80, Musc Police, and Musc PubWrks. I can't figure out why it won't import everything I checked....

ia_teacher

I used the preferred" method where I browsed the library and found my state then city and then checked the agencies I wanted.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The RR and Whistler databases may not have the DMR frequencies in the database yet. Or, if they do have your local frequencies, they might not be configured for DMR.

Try my website for programming the DMR in your county to your scanner. Instructions are on the search results page. Digital Frequency Quick Import

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This is probably a stupid (obvious) question, but did you:

1. Choose a scan list when you imported the freqs?
2. Did you turn on the scan list (play list) when turning on the scanner?

Try going into the scan lists in the PC program and find what's in there and which scan list it's in.

ia_teacher

This is probably a stupid (obvious) question, but did you:

1. Choose a scan list when you imported the freqs?
2. Did you turn on the scan list (play list) when turning on the scanner?

Try going into the scan lists in the PC program and find what's in there and which scan list it's in.

No such thing as a stupid question. :).

1 - Yep, I choose scanlist 1 for my PD/FD and Scanlist 2 for Sheriff
2- Yep, it shows "Scanlist 1" and "Scanlist 2" on the display.

It's strange because sometimes I can pick up some transmission from Scanlist 2 but NEVER Scanlist 1. Maybe I should try putting the PD/FD on another scanlist.....

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at it through EZ Scan, and it looks like the color codes are not populating correctly. They are showing as "0."

Change the color code to "any" for each frequency and see if that gets you in business.

Feel free to use the second Quick Import search on my website. You can copy just certain rows to different scanlists.

SCPD

QRT
Do you have the Scanlists in a scanset ?Check scansets press menu,and tick the boxes on to make the scanLists active.Then try scanning.
If the scan LIST is not in a scanSET it will not scan the LISTS!Use scanSET001 for starters,name it something like HOME AREA.

On the DMR thing,set the audio to Digital,and ANY ANY for color codes.

donchill

Premium Subscriber
scanlists

the scanner loads data to scan lists 151 and higher check there and see if those scan lists have been enabled.

ia_teacher

Do you have the Scanlists in a scanset ?Check scansets press menu,and tick the boxes on to make the scanLists active.Then try scanning.
If the scan LIST is not in a scanSET it will not scan the LISTS!Use scanSET001 for starters,name it something like HOME AREA.

On the DMR thing,set the audio to Digital,and ANY ANY for color codes.

Let's see - I had all my channels in ScanSET001 and it seemed to be scanning just not picking up anything.

My menu says DG Mode which is on Dig (so I assume that is digital - it only has Dig, Ana and Auto as choices. Then under SQ Mode I changed it to Srch because I thought maybe I wasn't picking anything up because it was set to the wrong type. I also checked the box that says Sq Search. Under the DMR menu is the following: Color: ANY, Slot: ANY, Radio ID unselected, TGID: ANY

Locked out and skipped are unselected so I'm kind of at a loss here. I don't know what to try next

Thanks again to everyone

ia_teacher

the scanner loads data to scan lists 151 and higher check there and see if those scan lists have been enabled.

Well, I didn't use the automatic zip code import - I used the "preferred method where I went in and checked what i wanted to hear and put it in Scanlist 001

ia_teacher

Another strange thing I notice - when I connect the scanner to my computer and use the EZ scan software it doesn't show ANYTHING that is in the scanner. For example, I renamed scan list #1 to MUSCOM PD/FD (our local dispatch name) but in EZ scan it still shows as Scanlist 001. I'm not sure why it doesn't show there....

TAbirdman

Another strange thing I notice - when I connect the scanner to my computer and use the EZ scan software it doesn't show ANYTHING that is in the scanner. For example, I renamed scan list #1 to MUSCOM PD/FD (our local dispatch name) but in EZ scan it still shows as Scanlist 001. I'm not sure why it doesn't show there....

When you connected the scanner to EZScan it doesn't automatically upload what's on the scanner. You have to go to the Scanner/SD card pull down menu and select "Copy configuration from Scanner Memory/Sd card"

ia_teacher

When you connected the scanner to EZScan it doesn't automatically upload what's on the scanner. You have to go to the Scanner/SD card pull down menu and select "Copy configuration from Scanner Memory/Sd card"

Wow. I feel smart. (or not!). Thanks. Got that figured out now. However, I STILL am not picking up ANYTHING on any of the DMR channels. I guess if I can't figure out anything soon I'll box it up and send it back. :-( I'm persistent but this is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.