• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with XPR3500e

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8OIG

Got a problem with a Motorola XPR3500e. Just got it back from the local (M) dealer and they said it is working fine. Here is what it is doing and what I sent it in for, Radio works fine on Simplex channels, but when I use it on a repeater channel it’s hit or miss. I am about 4 miles from the repeater site. Sometimes when I call dispatch they hear me and other times they don’t and I have had guys inside the station listen and when the dispatch does not hear me it does not come thru on the station radio either. Next time it works fine. Changed antenna’s same problem. Anyone else have this problem or hear of anything like this. If so any ideas?
Thanks

K2NEC

What did you send it in for? Sounds like it might need to be re-aligned?

romanr

This won't explain why simplex works and the repeater does not, but pay attention to the PTT switch when you're having trouble and see if you have an intermittent/flaky PTT switch. Sometimes people use/hold/handle the radio differently when troubleshooting vs. in normal work.

We had some problems with XPR7550 PTT switches - they would only transmit when pressed squarely in the center. The people at Depot told me that they had had a lot of bad PTTs and it took over 3 weeks for them to do the turn-around. Replacing the PTT switch gets you a new case - so it isn't cheap if the radio isn't under warranty.

I would hope that your dealer checked alignment, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them to confirm this.

KC8OIG

Its analog system and firmware is up to date as far as I know. We have 15 of these radios and this is the only one that is having this trouble. The PPT thing sounds like a good place to start. I will also ask the dealer if they checked the alignment when they had it.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Agree with the speaker mic. A while ago, I would get about 20-30 SL-7550 a week back from the Depot that would be fine in digital simplex, but not work through a digital repeater. Turns out they were blasting the wrong TANAPA into the radios at one specific repair line in the Depot. Took a few weeks to figure it out. That does not sound like your issue here. It sound like intermittent PTT switch or the way it is being help while using the PTT switch (can you use a different radio and the problem goes away? If you hand this bad one to another user, dos the problem go away? etc etc). TT

Status
Not open for further replies.