Help with XTS5000R Toronto Fire Zones

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewll14

Hi, I just purchased an XTS 5000R off Kijiji pre-programmed with the following TFS channels: TFS North, East, West and South.

I was able to hear the pages from automated dispatch go out yesterday. I think I might of touched something when I went into the Onboard Programing Mode on the radio in the RCL menu and now I am not able to hear any pages.

I have tried to work backwards and enable scanning on all of the subchannels within the zone. There is one in common I enabled on all TFS Zones Call TFS dispatch but I am not hearing anything and I have been following the Live Incident Tracker.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

gary123

If you were unable to read the radio with the proper CPS before accidentally making the change it would be almost impossible for us to identify what you changed. This is not a disaster though. Since you know who you bought it from contact them and ask if they have the codeplug that was in the radio at the time of sale. If they can email you the codeplug I am 100% sure that someone local to you should be able to put the original back in the radio for you.

I would also like to suggest you look into getting the CPS and a programming cable (from legit sources of course) so that in future you can more conveniently edit the codeplug to your liking. I also suggest you use this down time to do a bit of research on how to program your unit etc. This will save you a ton of headaches later when you wish to add or make major changes.

matthewll14

If you were unable to read the radio with the proper CPS before accidentally making the change it would be almost impossible for us to identify what you changed. This is not a disaster though. Since you know who you bought it from contact them and ask if they have the codeplug that was in the radio at the time of sale. If they can email you the codeplug i am 100% sure that someone local to you should be able to put the original back in the radio for you.

I would also like to suggest you look into getting the CPS and a programming cable (from legit sources of course) so that in future you can more conveniently edit the codeplug to your liking. I also suggest you use this down time to do a bit of research on how to program your unit etc. This will save you a ton of headaches later when you wish to add or make major changes.
Hey thanks! I think I might of fixed it after some messing around with the onboard stuff I duplicated my friends zoning setup. However, I only hear the occasional page on the other East, North and West. I'm not sure why that is but when I listen to the South Zone on one of those apps I hear a page regularly. I live in Vaughan and I am wondering if it is maybe a range thing and thats why I don't pick up anything on south zone.

So I am assuming it is always good to have the codplug file right? Also what happens if they do not have the code plug file anymore?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I’ve found Dispatch only comes off the South site or quite often the West, but rarely / never North or East sites. If you want to hear dispatches all the time, stick to the South site.

matthewll14

I’ve found Dispatch only comes off the South site or quite often the West, but rarely / never North or East sites. If you want to hear dispatches all the time, stick to the South site.
I can't pick up South. I am wondering if it is because I am too far North? Because they come from South Ops right?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I cant pick up South I am wondering if it is because I am too far North? Because they come from South Ops right?

Automated dispatch has its own channel. TGID 1401. The “Ops” channels (one for each command) are used for dispatching trucks when they aren’t in station.

Depending where you are in Vaughan you may have tricky reception. I’ve got a Unication G4 that pretty much picks up the south site anywhere in the city of Toronto, but north of it I find to be hit and miss at times and very location dependant for any or half decent reception off a handheld unit.

matthewll14

Okay, good too know. How would I know if TGID 1401 is programmed in there without a CPS and programming wire?
Because there is a channel set to each of my TFS commands that is called TFS Disp which I have the option to scan would that be TGID 1401?

If it is, I never hear anything from it. Could that have something to do with the range since its feed is from South Command?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately not familiar with the Motorola stuff. You'll likely want CPS to really get in and see how it's been programmed and what is in each zone and knob position. Perhaps the person who sold it to you could even screenshot the configuration for you.

matthewll14

Lol, unfortunately the dude I bought it off of is a tow truck driver and had no clue what I was talking about when I asked him for the code plug file.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Just circling back to this for a second...

You'll want to take a look at the Toronto Emergency Services system to see what talkgroups are available.

Generally you will almost always hear Dispatch and the "Ops" channels off the South site. I usually hear all 4.

On the other sites, you will basically mostly hear whatever is relevant to that command. Example being on the North site, you will hear North Ops + North Tac channels. Don't regularly expect to hear West / East / South Tacs on the North site, unless a truck from the North heads into a different command area and stays affiliated.

That's how I've found it to mostly be. The South site carries the most traffic overall in terms of picking up Tac channels from all four Commands.

Just figured I'd let you know what you would regularly expect to hear on each site.

matthewll14

So, am I basically screwed if I ever wanna just want to program it from scratch and not restore it to what it came with right?

Just circling back to this for a second...

You'll want to take a look at the Toronto Emergency Services system to see what talkgroups are available.

Generally you will almost always hear Dispatch and the "Ops" channels off the South site. I usually hear all 4.

On the other sites, you will basically mostly hear whatever is relevant to that command. Example being on the North site, you will hear North Ops + North Tac channels. Don't regularly expect to hear West / East / South Tacs on the North site, unless a truck from the North heads into a different command area and stays affiliated.

That's how I've found it to mostly be. The South site carries the most traffic overall in terms of picking up Tac channels from all four Commands.

Just figured I'd let you know what you would regularly expect to hear on each site.

So what if I want to expand the range on my XTS 5000R? Is there any sort of antenna I can get because right now I have the OEM Motorola antenna or maybe there is a more powerful scanner model that you can suggest?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
So what if I want to expand the range on my XTS 5000r? is there any sort of antenna I can get because right now I have the OEM motorola antenna or maybe there is a more powerful scanner model that you can suggest?

I'm not sure an antenna change is going to be the solution here, particularly on a handheld. I suspect it's more the geographical location as a whole.

Someone local to Vaughan here might be able to chime in, but I've just had very hit and miss reception back to the South site when I've been in that region.

Have you taken a drive closer to the city and had better results there?

So, am I basically screwed if I ever wanna just want to program it from scratch and not restore it to what it came with right?

Not screwed, but you're down to 2 options - finding someone who has CPS and the programming cable who can do it properly, or buying CPS yourself, the proper programming cable, and learning how to properly set up scanning on a Motorola - which is not quite drag and drop like a scanner. See this thread for understanding how programming is on these radios.

gary123

No not screwed. There are many here who have the skills to fix the programming. You would have to find someone locally to you to read the unit and make or undo the edits. Or you may have to do it in a couple of steps. Find someone to read and save the codeplug for you. Send the codeplug to someone for editing. Then reload the codeplug when its returned to you.

NOTE: there are some site rules here about programming radios and sourcing software etc . Read through them to familiarize your self with them. I can tell you the programming cable is available on eBay if your inclined to support yourself.

gary123

Good point,slicer. I guess this falls into the "no pain, no gain" issue.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
If it's one of my files its password protected.... DM if you need help

I'm in Mississauga deal with most Tows in the GTA

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I meant DM me here and I will give you a way to contact me directly :rolleyes:

Most guys on here including myself will not share publicly our contact info. I think this site has DM still

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Hey @matthewll14 any update on your efforts? I’m in Vaughan today (Major Mack / 400 area) and tried out reception... very clear on all 4 sites for Toronto on my G4 so far (outdoors)

Status
Not open for further replies.