Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I've got both my PSR 500 and My Pro 97 that I program from my computer and I've got both programs, win 500 and win 97, the programs will work individually however, Since my keyboard, mouse, webcam, and external hard drive are all USB ran I am using a 4 port USB Hub to hook everything up.. I have both My win 500 and win 97 cable hooked into this port..My 500 is working fine on COM 7, But I have went through the ENTIRE list and my 97 will not read on any of the comms. Is this because both of them are hooked up at the same time, Even unplugging the 500 cable from the 500 it sill doesn't read.. Can anyone help or let me know what I should do or why they won't work together?

I have tried everything and I'm out of options,

Anyone ever experienced this problem?
Anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

Any help is appreciated..

thanks!

fineshot1

Temporarily unplug the usb hub and plug the pro97 cable into that usb port with nothing else plugged into usb at the same time. Then try the pro97 software again. It should work now. Some usb applications are finicky when other usb apps are running at the same time.

DonS

From your post, it appears that you have TWO "USB Scanner Programming Cables" - one for the PSR-500 and one for the PRO-97. If that's the case, you can really only use one of them at a time, since Windows will likely assign them both the same COM port number.

There's a procedure described on the GRE America web site that will let you use both cables at the same time. It "reprograms" the cable's serial number (either or both) so that Windows can "see" them as two different cables, instead of the same exact physical cable.

Normally, these cables come from the GRE factory with their "USB serial number" all set to the same value, for all cables. Reprogramming one of the cables' "USB serial number" values with something different allows Windows to see multiple cables at the same time.

btritch

Fixed..

I got it, I was fixing to download the link Don supplied when I realized that someone suggested unplugging them from the hub, So, I plugged my keyboard and external hardrive into the hub and plugged both scanner cables, 500 and 97, into the USB Ports on the pc directly and without changing anything they both work now, Thanks you guys for the help, I appreaciate it very much, I don't know what I would have done otherwise, lol

Probably by hand, lol

thanks again.

DonS

If you're going to be using more than one of those GRE-made USB cables on the same computer at the same time, it might still be a good idea to follow the procedure from GRE's web site. That way, no matter where you plug them in (directly into USB port on PC chassis or into a hub), you can still get unique COM port numbers for each cable. It might be an especially good idea if your PC's USB jacks are relatively "inaccessible" and you'll be moving those cables around periodically - a hub would be much more convenient.

I have three of the cables, and I've run the "mprog" utility described on GRE's web site for two of them. I can now plug all of them into any of my machines, directly or via hubs, and get unique COM ports for each. The only cable that doesn't "move around" is the one connected to my PSR-600 on one of my servers, and which supplies my feed for that scanner. Even it is plugged into a hub, due to the distance between the PC and the scanner. If I want to program my PSR-500 from that same computer, I'll also use the hub - since it's accessible. If I hadn't followed GRE's instructions, I'd have to stop the PSR-600 feed, disconnect that cable, and then connect/program the PSR-500.

btritch

I went ahead and ran it anywauys just in case, Well I still can't plug even one of them into the hub without it kicking them out and not recongnizing the ports, But one is com 9 and the other com 3 hooked directly into the PC, I don't know why it won't work with a hub, Could be because it's a cheap made wally world special.. LOL, oh well, It'll work, Everything's on now that's all that matters.. LOL Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.