Status
Not open for further replies.

honda112

Premium Subscriber
I walked into Radioshack the other day and told the guy i was looking for a scanner to listen to the local fire, ems, police frequencys. I said i was looking at the Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT so i could tune into them. He said that the Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT is not "digital" and cannot get my local fire, ems, and police frequency's.

Please Help Guys, after doing alot of research and looking at comments. Alot of people had said that they use this scanner to tune into fire,ems,police,etc. So if you could help, thanks.

sjlamb

Without knowing where you are and who you want to listen to, it's going to be kinda hard for anyone here to give you any meaningful advice.

scanningisfun

I walked into Radioshack the other day and told the guy i was looking for a scanner to listen to the local fire, ems, police frequencys. I said i was looking at the Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT so i could tune into them. He said that the Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT is not "digital" and cannot get my local fire, ems, and police frequency's.

Please Help Guys, after doing alot of research and looking at comments. Alot of people had said that they use this scanner to tune into fire,ems,police,etc. So if you could help, thanks.

The BC72XLT is not capable of decoding P25 voice. It also can't track any type of trunked system. The RadioShack salesman is correct. Where are you at?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

I would have started my research here - BC72XLT - The RadioReference Wiki

honda112

Premium Subscriber
Sorry

Sorry guys I didn't include my location. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and want to listen to Butler County fire, ems, and police frequencys.

captclint

Mentor
Sorry guys I didn't include my location. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and want to listen to Butler County fire, ems, and police frequencys.
All Police, Fire and EMS agencies in Butler County are now using the new countywide Butler Regional Interoperability Communications System (BRICS) a true P-25 digital system. You now need a digital capable scanner to monitor it. see: Butler County, Ohio (OH) Here's a list of Digital Scanners In general, you are looking at $400-$500, but Radio Shack and Ebay often have bargains. The reason your friends say they use BC72XLT is probably because the shift to digital has been a recent change, and Several fire departments are still simulcasting traffic or paging dispatches on their old conventional channels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.