• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KY_FF_EMT

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a HT1250, I had our "Radio Guy at the FD program it for me. I have noticed that it when I turn it on, it will not scan even though it was programmed with a scan list. I also noticed that it will not transmit. Is this a programming issue. My friend emailed me both the old program and the one he installed just in case I ever needed them. I really don't want to take it to our local Motorola shop, but... If someone would be willing to give me some advice I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks in advance...

Are you a junior member non allowed to transmit? Will it not transmit on any channel? Just because he put in a scan list doesn't mean it is configured to scan. I think if you can share your codeplug we can help out more.

You can email me at zion229atyahoo.

I also like how you realize that he is a "radio guy." Just because you can program a radio doesn't mean that you are one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

KY_FF_EMT

Premium Subscriber
So, I called the local Motorola shop today. The guy told me that it looks like I may need the firmware updated. He went on to tell me that there is a chance that doing so could "brick" the radio depending on what the prior owner had done to the unit.

Has anyone else had a problem with upgrades bricking unites?

by the way, the radio in question is a ht1250 uhf 128ch 403-470

DisasterGuy

While it is possible that it could require a firmware update, that would not have anything to do with your current problem unless the guy that did the programming for you jacked around with something there was no need to mess with.

What exactly happens when you try to transmit? Does it make a "bonk" sound or does the transmit light illuminate but no one can hear you? The most likely cause of "not transmitting" would be if transmit was inhibited in the programming (it should make the "bonk" sound) or the improper transmit frequency / tx squelch was programmed (would appear to operate normally). Short of these two situations, it is possible that it has a bad PA or is WAY out of alignment. Either of the latter situations is possible if this was an eBay radio that someone had jacked around with by pulling things way out of spec.

KY_FF_EMT

Premium Subscriber
DisasterGuy,
As far as the guy monkeying around with it don't think that's the case. I talked to him today and was told that when he tried to write to the radio, he got a message that told him that some options are not compatible with this radio.
When I try to tx, the light on the top of the unit lights up RED, but it doesn't make any "bonk" noise. I'm guessing your are referring to the sound it makes when you switch to an unprogrammed channel.
And yes, it was an eBay radio.

Any guidance would be great.

DisasterGuy

Did he try to program it by placing the code plug of another radio into it rather than just programming the frequencies and tones? The first thing I would do is have him restore the previous code plug if it was saved and simply program the Transmit frequency, receive frequency, applicable PL tone and nothing else. See if that solves the problem. If so the issue relates to the programming that he performed. Based on what you describe it sounds like either the transmit frequency or PL isn't correct. The other situation would be a bad PA or alignment issue. Does your city/county have a radio shop to maintain their system? If so and reprogramming doesn't solve it, I would take it to them and ask them to throw it on a service monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
modern times

DisasterGuy,
As far as the guy monkeying around with it don't think that's the case. I talked to him today and was told that when he tried to write to the radio, he got a message that told him that some options are not compatible with this radio.
When I try to tx, the light on the top of the unit lights up RED, but it doesn't make any "bonk" noise. I'm guessing your are referring to the sound it makes when you switch to an unprogrammed channel.
And yes, it was an eBay radio.

Any guidance would be great.

I believe I get that error from time to time, but just click OK and you're good to go.

Do you know for sure you are not transmitting?
Is it possible he accidently put the wrong tx freq or pl/dpl tone in it?
Instead of going to a Moto shop, why not hit a ham radio club meeting near you, and see if someone can either program it for you, or knows someone who can do it.

photoguy2

Sounds to me like A. Wrong frequency/Tones, Or B. Alignment. Considering it's an ebay radio, I would think the latter. One thing you can try is to put it next to a working radio and try to transmit. If the good radio pops in and out of receive, then its alignment for sure.
Instead of going to a Moto shop, why not hit a ham radio club meeting near you, and see if someone can either program it for you, or knows someone who can do it.
I think that's not the best idea. Having someone who is not a professional touch the codeplug was where this problem started.

Second, the OP is a firefighter, even if he is a volly, he may end up relying on the radio for is life (Or someone else's). Public Safety radios should be done by the pros. I have done several hundred Motorolas, programmed and aligned perfectly. I still would not touch a Public Safety radio with a 10 ft pole.

Just my opinion.

Matt

Last edited:

KY_FF_EMT

Premium Subscriber
Guys,
So, I had another friend of mine take a look at the codeplug that was installed on my radio. The first guy made a few typo's when entering the tx freq or pl/dpl tone. So we fixed that and then found out that since he had typed the info in and didnt use a known working codeplug, that he didnt go in a allow the radio to scan. Everything seems to be working great now, and I went to the local Motorola shop, and the guy flashed my firmware with out trouble.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for helping me get to the bottom of this issue. Thanks everyone.... Im sure I'll be back with more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.