Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
I have a 436 i bought today... i Have a mac and hit mass data storage on the scanner and now it wont let me do anything.... its locked on SD File Error use sentinel clear user data operation to iniliize SD card.... How can i get out of this to just use the damn scanner. Why do they have to make things so damn complicated and just let me program it how I want to manually.

Can somebody tell me how i get out of this screen? I turned it off, I took out the batterys and the SD card... Any other sugestions?

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Thats really the solution here... maybe they should just not have computers hooked up to scanners and you program them the old fashoned way.... i programmed my uniden 396t just fine using the keypad and the knob.

JamesO

Might try the Yes or No key as well as plugging the scanner into the USB power adapter rather than the USB port on a computer?

Otherwise try taking the batteries out and try to turn on the scanner, it won't, then let the scanner sit for a few hours and see what happens.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not to sound anti Mac - but why do people keep trying to use a Mac with something not designed for a MAC??

From all the issues I keep seeing (on here and some other forums where you need hardware connected) it would be easier to but a cheap laptop.

I've ran Sentinel on an old Netbook that is worth maybe $50.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Well... why would I want to have 2 computers when i only need one... what would be the point of me buying a netbook when i already have a good computer... one that does not get slow or get viruses...

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
tried the power adapter method, still has the mass storage on the screen. Thanks for all that are trying to help. I have my girlfriends POS PC she got from walmart a few years ago that is slower the paint drying... trying to download sentinel on it now to see if i can get the issue fixed.

JamesO

Not the PC is junk attitude. This is what is wrong with the world!

Here is the deal, I fully agree that trying to run all of this on a MAC even with the Windows emulation is not a wise idea. I have about 15 computers, 1 is a MAC that was an old customer machine that the hard drive died in it. I only use it to talk my MAC customers through screen by screen if I do not use my PC and LogMeIn to control their Mac.

Anyway, here is the deal, your whining about slow and infested PC's will not solve your problem. Slow PC's are usually due to the Market place selling garbage for low prices that should never have been sold. Underpowered processors and not enough RAM. Top this off with allowing kids to use a PC as a online gaming machine for free games. Nothing in the world is free. Also the MAC mindset is everytime a new computer comes out, you must go buy it, you would be surprised how many 4-10 year old Windows machines I see on a DAILY basis. Computer life cycle at tops is 4 years if you want to stay reasonable current.

A Windows machine that needs an enema is usually due to the operator not using the machine wisely. I deal with this every day, I make a lot of money solving these issues. My teenagers have never killed or screwed up their Windows machines and I have never spent much time training them. They are just street/computer/Internet smart and do not do foolish things.

Anyway enough of this and back to your problem.

Search the forum for more info on the MAC and SD card problems, you are not the first here.

Anytime you plug the x36HP scanners in to a USB connection, it should prompt you for Serial or Mass Storage. You use the Yes/No 4/6 key to choose. Serial mode is for remote controlling the scanner or charging the scanner when it is turned off. Mass Storage is really the SD card, this would have been a better description.

Unclear if your SD card is corrupt, likely so??? If this is the case, you will most likely need to remove the SD card and format if you do not have luck with running Sentinel on your other SLOW Windows machine, that will likely work just fine!

phask

Premium Subscriber
IMHO - find your own $%$$# solution. It's your choice, your hardware requirement were fully disclosed before purchase that it was for Windows. It's that better than thou attitude that really keeps information flowing.

I personally don't give a flying small mammal's behind. I have way too many years in industry where everything is written for a PC. IOS wil also get virus - if you think not then you will really get surprised someday.

Hang on - maybe an Apple fanboy will give you some help - but there is only one true solution.

The solution for the SD card is formatting via a PC - or another emulator.

You can program it manually.

JamesO

Here is someone that claims they have Sentinel working fine on Mac.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...olume-connecting-my-computer.html#post2184510

BUT, there is more to this on the hardware and driver side, so just because this person has everything working fine does not mean this will be a 100% solution for everyone.

Keep in mind, I do work on Macs from time to time and it is quite funny how many of the Macs I work on need TONS of updates.

As I recall, click the Apple on the upper left side of the screen and choose Updates, you might be surprised what has been waiting there for a LONG time to be downloaded and installed!!

Like anything these days, there are updates and maintenance for everything that has a screen, keyboard or remote control and everyone needs to master the magic boxes that rule their life!

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well... why would I want to have 2 computers when i only need one... what would be the point of me buying a netbook when i already have a good computer... one that does not get slow or get viruses...

Oh I don't know, maybe because the entire thread you started shows you don't need only one.

So as you said above, "One that does not get slow or get viruses".....and does not work. :)

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Firefox89, your time is money. And for a few bucks, a Wintel is cheaper than blood pressure medicine. :)

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Firefoxnumbers,

Pay these guys no mind. In case you haven't noticed most of them are cantankerous old curmudgeons who have fossilized, and thumb their noses down at Apple. Sadly, Uniden also took the old fart approach and didn't think that people from this century just might want to use Apple technology instead of bear skins and stone knives. Stick around long enough and you might hear a few "I used to walk to school uphill BOTH WAYS!" stories.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Got senteniel on my gfs dinosaur... now trying to figure out how to program the OH P25 marcs up systemhhow I want it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The problem is that OSX insists on writing hidden files and folders to flash drives and SD cards it's introduced to, regardless if you want it to or not. It appears to interfere enough to cause the problems noted above.

The people who claim to have avoided this issue have some configuration which prevents OSX from ever seeing the SD card, instead letting the Windows virtual machine access it directly.

I don't have any more help to offer, sadly. I don't have a Mac but I've experienced this kind of 'corruption' before.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok.... now on to a new problem. I have programmed favorites.... with associated quick keys... but for some reason cannot figure out how to use the quick keys. It isn't as simple as my old 396t where you held the function button and clicked the desired key, it brings up some confusing three tiered menu.... ant help would be spectacular. Sorry for being short with a few of you earlier, but when you buy something for $500 and you were able to program the last scanner with no problems at all you get temperamental.

Status
Not open for further replies.