help

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
sorry if not to explanatory. Basically i have 3 scanners whist 1080 and a pro 107 and both pick up hartford ct police from berlin home. why wouldnt the psr 500 pick iy up also? tried all diff locations and antennas. fyi programmed correctly because when in wethersfield ct ( work ) i hear them seemlessly. any ideas maybe settings wise since im further away.

Since it works when you are closer, the programming must be correct.

Must just be a weaker receiver.

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
Any specific antenna indoor or small outdoor to get better reception? I bought comet wrx-100, but no change.

ScannerSK

The PSR 500 suffers from nearby radio interference a lot more than most scanners. Most likely it is some type of strong radio transmissions (FM, TV, cell phone, etc.) in the area of your house causing issues in the PSR 500 scanner. When you manually tune to the control channel on the PSR 500 is it just white noise or do you hear the sound of the control channel data?

Shawn

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
When I manually tune I hear just white noise sound. Thanks for any help

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
No idea,but other towns come in nicely. It's basically Hartford CT edacs I cannot grasp from Berlin. Comes in perfectly from wethersfield ( work )

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
How far are you from a cell tower (or other high-power transmitter?) When I get close to some cell towers, all reception is gone on 700/800 MHz. The closer the tower's frequency is to to 700 or 800 MHz, the worse the desensitizing is. Some scanners do better than others at dealing with this. Most of the time, its only noticeable within a quarter-mile of a cell tower, but there are factors that may the make effect noticeable from greater or less distances.

Last edited:
No idea,but other towns come in nicely. It's basically Hartford CT edacs I cannot grasp from Berlin. Comes in perfectly from wethersfield ( work )

I pick them up fine from Cromwell (Next town over).

Try entering 858.4375 as a conventional frequency and monitor it for a while.

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
Looks like 12 towers around my address. Closest 2 miles away. Does this mean I'm doomed

ScannerSK

If it is not too much hassle, you could drive in each direction from your house and note where the PSR-500 scanner begins to receive normally in each of the four directions from your house. Mark all four locations on a map and the center of the four locations is likely the source of the problem. It could be something nearby or miles away. If you find the source of the problem, a filter can be purchased to notch out just that interference.

Some use the attenuator feature on the PSR-500 which can help in some situations however is not the best solution.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.