HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvaillancourt

Premium Subscriber
When looking at a trunked system how do you know which site (that contains the freqs) go with all the different talk groups? Specifically, I'm referring to the Mass State Police trunking system but I've had the same question with different systems. In MSP there are 24 different sites listed each with a list of 6-9 freq and probably over 50 TG. How do I know what site to input for say, the MA environmental police? Do I choose the site closest to my location?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You enter the SITE close to you and or that you will travel through then the TALKGROUPS you want to hear.
#1 Statewide groups can use any SITE they are near.
#2 Some Systems only transmit the traffic if a radio is connected to that site.
#3 Most City or County TALKGROUPS only are allowed to connect to SITES in that City or County.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunked_Radio_Systems

ecps92

As Bud posted, Yes,
but... concentrate on the Wide-Area [Larger Zone] They generally handle most of the traffic, the smaller zones [Inteli] will only pass traffic if someone has a radio [Not Scanner] affiliated to that particular Zone.

Update your RR profile so we know where in the State you are.

Zone/Sites - 3, 4, 5, 8 and 18 should handle most of the state

Unless you are west of Springfield, then we go P25 for the ComIRs system

You enter the SITE close to you and or that you will travel through then the TALKGROUPS you want to hear.
#1 Statewide groups can use any SITE they are near.
#2 Some Systems only transmit the traffic if a radio is connected to that site.
#3 Most City or County TALKGROUPS only are allowed to connect to SITES in that City or County.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunked_Radio_Systems

jvaillancourt

Premium Subscriber
As Bud posted, Yes,
but... concentrate on the Wide-Area [Larger Zone] They generally handle most of the traffic, the smaller zones [Inteli] will only pass traffic if someone has a radio [Not Scanner] affiliated to that particular Zone.

Update your RR profile so we know where in the State you are.

Zone/Sites - 3, 4, 5, 8 and 18 should handle most of the state

Unless you are west of Springfield, then we go P25 for the ComIRs system

I'm in SE MASS. So this means that I WOULD NOT be able to pick up Boston PD even I use the Bristol/Plymouth County sites?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's almost a two independent step process.

First you select the sites that you are close enough to receive, 30-40 miles as noted above.

Second select those talkgroups that you are interested in monitoring.

While for system users there is a concern over which talkgroup works on which site, scanners do things differently and not as complex.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Then a directional antenna UHF Beam or TV Antenna 50 to 60 feet may help you as long as you are not in a high RF area and use good coax you may even get away with a low noise 10DB gain preamp mounted at the antenna.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't there be a cross polarization issue with the TV antenna?
If using a TV antenna, rotate the antenna by drilling new holes in the mast if need be. You want the elements of the antenna to be vertical if used for a scanner, instead of horizontal when used for TV. If you remember the Scanner Beam antenna that Grove used to sell, that was basically a modified TV antenna. I have one, and it worked very well. ScannerMaster carried that antenna for a while after Bob Grove retired, but they currently show it as "out of stock".

Status
Not open for further replies.