Help

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
So I own a RadioShack pro 197 and people were telling me that it is possible to listen to my local police talkgroups that have p25 phase 2 and I have a scanner that only supports phase 1. Can somebody please tell me which ones I can listen too.IMG_0237.pngIMG_0234.png

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So I own a RadioShack pro 197 and people were telling me that it is possible to listen to my local police talkgroups that have p25 phase 2 and I have a scanner that only supports phase 1. Can somebody please tell me which ones I can listen too.View attachment 141419View attachment 141420
I think what is confusing you somewhat is that while the system, LCRA, is capable of P25 Phase II, the specific talkgroups for your town (Cibolo) are still using P25 Phase I. They are tagged as Mode D, which is Phase I & is within the capabilities of your Pro-197. As long as they remain Phase I (again, that is shown by a D in the Mode column, you can still use your Pro-197.

There are other talkgroups in your vicinity that are indicated as P25 Phase II, which is indicated by the T in the mode column. Those you would not be able to receive, and should, at some point, Cibolo also convert to Phase II, then you would lose the ability to monitor them. Hover your mouse cursor over the Mode column header to see the meanings of the letters.
1683518119739.png

I would also note that TGID 12108, listed as Cibolo Citywide, ia part of the Broadcastify "Calls" process. For that specific TGID, you can listen to it simply by clicking on that on the database page.

1683518322907.png

Last edited:

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I wouldn’t hesitate to think about upgrading to a Phase 2 scanner. Agencies using LCRA are upgrading fast. You can already see that Phase 2 TDMA has been reported on Schertz/Cibolo Fire dispatching and response. Those two PDs are a small sample size that could easily upgrade and go Phase 2 overnight at some point.

SA_tx_88116

I think what is confusing you somewhat is that while the system, LCRA, is capable of P25 Phase II, the specific talkgroups for your town (Cibolo) are still using P25 Phase I. They are tagged as Mode D, which is Phase I & is within the capabilities of your Pro-197. As long as they remain Phase I (again, that is shown by a D in the Mode column, you can still use your Pro-197.

There are other talkgroups in your vicinity that are indicated as P25 Phase II, which is indicated by the T in the mode column. Those you would not be able to receive, and should, at some point, Cibolo also convert to Phase II, then you would lose the ability to monitor them. Hover your mouse cursor over the Mode column header to see the meanings of the letters.
View attachment 141421

I would also note that TGID 12108, listed as Cibolo Citywide, ia part of the Broadcastify "Calls" process. For that specific TGID, you can listen to it simply by clicking on that on the database page.

View attachment 141422

Thank you I will do this when coming back from Dallas today

SA_tx_88116

I wouldn’t hesitate to think about upgrading to a Phase 2 scanner. Agencies using LCRA are upgrading fast. You can already see that Phase 2 TDMA has been reported on Schertz/Cibolo Fire dispatching and response. Those two PDs are a small sample size that could easily upgrade and go Phase 2 overnight at some point.
Question what should I enter for the TSYS ID

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 9

SA_tx_88116

View attachment 141421

View attachment 141422

What would I enter for the TSYS

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 2

SA_tx_88116

That's not needed, and in fact, the scanner does not have any field that relates to that.

Just program the system correctly.
IMG_0240 here watch this if I skipped over something or didn’t enter anything it’s because I don’t know what it it and I need your help also tell me if I did something wrong

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
P25 Auto
LCRA
Enter the frequencies of the Live Oak site. All of them. They are the only 850 MHz frequencies on the whole LCRA system
Program the wildcard group for sure. That allows the scanner to monitor any talkgroup that comes up. You can also program the talkgroups you want to listen to. Schertz dispatches for Cibolo but they have their own department channels as well. Schertz and Cibolo have a combined dispatch center and share dispatch, response and tactical talkgroups. If you don’t want to hear public works type stuff, enter those talk groups as well and set them to lock-out.

SA_tx_88116

P25 Auto
LCRA
Enter the frequencies of the Live Oak site. All of them. They are the only 850 MHz frequencies on the whole LCRA system
Program the wildcard group for sure. That allows the scanner to monitor any talkgroup that comes up. You can also program the talkgroups you want to listen to. Schertz dispatches for Cibolo but they have their own department channels as well. Schertz and Cibolo have a combined dispatch center and share dispatch, response and tactical talkgroups. If you don’t want to hear public works type stuff, enter those talk groups as well and set them to lock-out.
so basically I should just leave the ID as wildcard. And should I have multi site set to stationary and tell it to check all control channels?

Last edited:

SA_tx_88116

P25 Auto
LCRA
IMG_0240 this is what I have

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
IMG_0240 this is what I have
Yes the Cibolo site should work, I said the Live Oak site since they were always on that until Guadalupe Co got their sites up and running a few years back. They may still be mostly on Live Oak as their home site so try both to make sure you are catching everything. Everything appears to be entered correctly for scanning any “wildcard” talkgroup that comes across that site. Cross reference what IDs pop up with the database to see what you are hearing.

SA_tx_88116

Yes the Cibolo site should work, I said the Live Oak site since they were always on that until Guadalupe Co got their sites up and running a few years back. They may still be mostly on Live Oak as their home site so try both to make sure you are catching everything. Everything appears to be entered correctly for scanning any “wildcard” talkgroup that comes across that site. Cross reference what IDs pop up with the database to see what you are hearing.
Ok thanks I will experiment with it and see what I get sometimes I really wish I could have a uniden scanner, but I hope to get a uniden Bearcat BCD436HP

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
That’s what I have had since 2017, and it is still my go to. I also have a SDS100 but it is bulky and doesn’t fit into my vehicle mount as clean as the 436. Both are great scanners, but keep in mind if you are looking to upgrade in the future and have any plans to listen to Bexar County or San Antonio, the SDS100 handles their AARRS simulcast system very well, while the 436HP will be dependent on where you are in relation to the towers. If you are sitting between two of the towers in a simulcast area, the 436HP is likely to not pass any audio, while the SDS100 will be much more lively like a true radio.