Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi05

I was just wondering if anyone can help me, I've been having problems with my handheld scanner. I know the frequencies I want and they're programmed into my scanner but I can't pick anything up. The only tranmissions I recieve are weather tranmissions. I'm using the antenna that came with the scanner so I don't know if I need a better antenna or I'm just not doing something right. If you have any answers for me, please let me know.

seamusg

luigi05 said:
I was just wondering if anyone can help me, I've been having problems with my handheld scanner. I know the frequencies I want and they're programmed into my scanner but I can't pick anything up. The only tranmissions I recieve are weather tranmissions. I'm using the antenna that came with the scanner so I don't know if I need a better antenna or I'm just not doing something right. If you have any answers for me, please let me know.
You'll have to start by giving more information, such as what model of scanner you have and what you're trying to program in, also you city county and state would help so we don't have to do this blind.

luigi05

It's a Pro 97 scanning reciever, I'm in Pa, Clarion county and I'm part of East Brady fire company. I've programmed their frequency in and countless others like ambulance and police for this county and surrounding counties but still I can't get anything

seamusg

luigi05 said:
It's a Pro 97 scanning reciever, I'm in Pa, Clarion county and I'm part of East Brady fire company. I've programmed their frequency in and countless others like ambulance and police for this county and surrounding counties but still I can't get anything
Clarion co. is here in the database http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2256
It looks like it's mostly simplex, therefore not a lot of range. You might want to post in the PA forum and maybe someone in your area can give you some help.

luigi05

Yeah, I got most of my frequencies from that page but what doesn't make sense to me is, the firehall is like 5 streets up from my house and therefore Clarion control is basically the same distance away. When I'm at the firehall the calls come in clear with no problem so I really have no idea. I just got the scanner yesterday and I've never really used one before. I don't know if I have to have the scanner on a certain channel with the frequency or what?

seamusg

I don't see anything listed as dispatch for FD, but it you program these frequencies in as conventional and scan you should hear something.
45.10000 Police Dispatch FM
154.87500 Clarion & Knox Boroughs Police FM
462.97500 Most Clarion EMS FM
155.16000 Knox Area Ambulance FM
155.22000 Knox Area Ambulance FM
155.34000 Knox Area Ambulance FM
155.22000 Perry Twp./Knox/Southern Clarion Co./East Brady EMS FM
46.38000 Fire Operations FM
46.44000 Fire Operationa FM
463.00000 Clarion hospital Med 1 Patch FM

captclint

Mentor
Try this link. It shows specif FD dispatch freq's., such as:
46.380 Fire Dispatch Is this the one you hear clearly at the fire hall?
46.440 Channel two
http://scan-pa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=367

If you still don't hear anything when you know the engines have left the station, then try to program these weather channels directly into one of the banks and push scan.
Channel 1 - 162.550
Channel 2 - 162.400
Channel 3 - 162.475
Channel 4 - 162.425
Channel 5 - 162.450
Channel 6 - 162.500
Channel 7 - 162.525
This is just a test of sensitivty. You should hear a couple with scan. If not, then open the squelch and manually move from 1-7.

Last edited:

dwh367

Worth A Try

luigi05 said:

You might want to check that you didn't accidently turn the global attentuator on. While in scan mode, look at the second line on the right hand side of the display. Make sure you don't see "atg" there. If you do, press "func" then "att" and it should go away indicating that the global attentuation feature has now been turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.