Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi05

Can anyone help me? I just got my scanner yesterday and I've never really used one before. I'm using a Pro 97 handheld scanner reciever. I live in East Brady, Pa and I'm in Clarion county. I know the frequencies I want and I have them programmed into the scanner. I've tried Firedepartments, ambulance, and police but nothing comes in, just real bad static. The only thing that really comes in is the weather channel, it's real clear. So my question is, am I doing something wrong? I'm using the antenna that came with the scanner, do I need a better one?

captclint

Mentor
I replied to your other thread under general scanning, but I did some other checking. The transmitter for the Clarion FD Dispatch is in Clarion, not East Brady. That's roughly 20 miles. You still should be able hear them, but if there are any hills/mtns between East Brady and Clarion, you may have some trouble. You are only 8 miles from the weather station at Parker, and that's a 1000W transmitter.

luigi05

When I'm up at the firehall their tranmissions come in real clear and the firehall is only like 5 streets up from my house. So I don't know why I can't hear them either.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Do you hapen to live in the shadow of a cellular tower?

This could cause a condition that prevents you from receiving it.

just checking the less-obvious first.

Dave

luigi05

I honestly don't have any idea. I'm almost positive there are no towers around the area and I know the only cell service we get is Cell One, I don't know if that means anything.

ocguard

When you say that the signal is better at your fire station, are you meaning on your handheld scanner or the firehouse radio? If you mean on the firehouse radio, I'm sure it's got an external antenna that would significantly improve reception.

Either way, five blocks or five houses can make alot of difference. Looking at the database, it appears as though you're scanning mostly low band stuff, so I would try investing in a radioshack telescoping antenna. It attaches directly to your Pro-97, and will greatly improve it's performance in the low band range. It'll cost less that $20. http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032075.2032078.2032098&pg=3&parentPage=family

The fact that you're getting NWS signal loud and clear indicates that your scanner is functioning just fine.

PS- If you're planning to use your scanner in your vehicle, I would also invest in an external vehicle antenna too. Car constuction kills scanner signal! Try this one, it'll be the best bang for your buck! http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032075.2032078.2032098&pg=1&parentPage=family

Status
Not open for further replies.