Help ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helo-Pilot

I am new to 'ham' radios. So if someone here can help me I would appreciate it.

Does anyone here kow if a radio like the Vertex VXA-710 can be reprogrammed to freeband?

I am a pilot looking to buy an aviaition transciever, but would like the ablility to scan the local SO frequencies too. I know that I could buy a VX-7R and freeband it to tx/rx on aviation freq's, but it would not have nav capabilities.

Thanks for the help, John.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Shady mods

Helo-Pilot said:
I am new to 'ham' radios. So if someone here can help me I would appreciate it.

Does anyone here kow if a radio like the Vertex VXA-710 can be reprogrammed to freeband?

I am a pilot looking to buy an aviaition transciever, but would like the ablility to scan the local SO frequencies too. I know that I could buy a VX-7R and freeband it to tx/rx on aviation freq's, but it would not have nav capabilities.

Thanks for the help, John.

An aviation transceiver is an AM transceiver in the 108 to 135 Mhz range.
Your local police could be in the 155 Mhz vicinity, or 460 Mhz, or 850 Mhz. But they would be FM if not digital.

The VX-7 is an FM transceiver (mostly) Spec says it does AM on 6meters.

It would be illegal besides being a bad idea.
Accidentally transmitting on police frequencies could get you treated like a terrorist.

Ain't no such thing as "freeband. " Every frequency in the spectrum has a service assignment regulated in the US by the FCC. This sort of thing is why ham stores ask you for your ham callsign when selling gear and get suspicious if you don't have one.

Please discontinue this avenue of inquiry.

If you want to listen only then there are lots of scanners for little money that will do the job, especially used.
If you're wanting to mess with your aviation transceiver then you could be compromising the reliability of your comms.

Last edited:

Helo-Pilot

I'm not much on spending money on extras if I dont have to.

I would like to be able to LISTEN to the SO on my nav/com. I live in a small county, and know the Sheriff pretty well. As a matter of fact we have discussed using my helicopter for the SO from time to time.

So, before I buy something I would like to know if it will do what I would like.

By the way, the SO here is 460mhz.

N1BHH

Modification of any type accepted equipment to operate on a frequency and service other than it was manufactured to operate on is illegal and can lead you to big fines and possible jail terms if you cause interference to others.

The Yaesu transceivers transmit FM only and do not transmit AM, only receive AM.

Freeband has been a term used to describe operating outside what a radio is manufactured to operate on. I would suggest if you are a pilot in discussion to read up on the various rules of the FCC and FAA before you go any further. FCC rules are located here: http://www.fcc.gov/searchtools.html#rules
FAA rules are located here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/

trace1

Being that you "know the Sheriff pretty well" and that there is the possibility of using your helicopter for the SO, I'd ask the Sheriff if he'd just assign you a radio then none of your money will have been spent on "extras"...

Helo-Pilot

That has already been discussed with the sheriff, and we agreed that that will happen when needed. This was discussed with several other SO’s around the state and they confirmed that with just a small amount of altitude, a handheld radio will provide a lot of coverage.

Point made about modifying a radio.

Still, it would be nice to have an airband radio that would allow me to monitor other bands. We (my family) are involved with EMS and other operations in our county. I am just trying to . . . simplify my needs, I mean wants.

w0fg

The VXA-710 will monitor the business band between 151 and 155 Mhz, but most public safety activity is above 155. There are no modifications that I am aware of. The original VXA-700 would also transmit and receive the 2M ham band, but apparently there was too much misuse of one side or the other and Yaesu/Vertex replace it with the VXA-710. Your best bet is to buy a Vertex business band HT that can be programmed for the frequencies you need and still share accessories and batteries with a Vertex aviation HT. Something more like a Pilot III VXA-300/VX-210 combo.

Helo-Pilot

Rick, thank you for the reply.

I think I will be buying something like the VX-7R. I am really more interested in having something that scans, than an aviation transciever.

Now to find and schedule a test.

D

DaveNF2G

I have a VX-7R. After a year or so of use, the function button (required to access the menus and perform other mode changes) works only about 10% of the time.

mancow

Database Admin
The VX-7R still won't transmit in AM on the aviation bands after modification so that won't do you any good if you are hoping to transmit with one.

Helo-Pilot

Dan, I can monitor the surrounding counties with a personal unit. And, it would be mine, to do with as I please.

As for the 7R not transmitting on airband, thats Ok. I can live with that.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Helo-Pilot said:
Dan, I can monitor the surrounding counties with a personal unit. And, it would be mine, to do with as I please.

As for the 7R not transmitting on airband, thats Ok. I can live with that.

That makes sense, just my cheapness showing. Question for you, no matter what radio you decide, will you be able to interface into the on board intercom ? The few times that I have flown, you couldn't hear anything due to the noisy environment.

Helo-Pilot

Dan, I belive it depends on how I am wired in. I have an adapter that allows me to use my cell while flying that works well. It adapts my cell in line so that is works through the aircraft comms.

Before soemone says anything, I have not actually used it while in flight. To be honest, all I have ever done is plugged it in to test it. But, in the small helicopters like I fly, it would be legal for me to do so. Yes, I have read the FAR/AIM from cover to cover, and know the regs on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.