Helpful info (I hope) to other newbies to the BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke4ah

I just thought I would post my thoughts and beginner problems for others new to the Uniden BCD996XT. After ordering the scanner, I researched software and found FreeScan. After downloading it and with the help of others here, I figured out, due to me having Satellite Internet here at my new home, I could not log onto RR and get data. Since I live in the country, there are no other options but satellite internet. The phone company's DSL stops a mile from my house. Since the program ARC XT has a demo mode, I downloaded it and tried to log into RR with it. Works fine, no problems. Today, UPS brought my scanner and the Uniden USB-1 cable I ordered. After installing the drivers for it that I downloaded from ScannerMaster, I followed the readme instructions, and BOOM! the scanner and computer found each other. Using the ARC XT, I downloaded the RR data for my area and up loaded it to the 996XT with no problems. The scanner is performing perfectly and I now hear things that I had not heard since retiring from Law Enforcement. Interestingly, my other scanners (Uniden BC9000XLT and Icom R-100) do not pick up as well using the same Comet GP-6 dual band antenna that I use for ham radio. I am picking up P25 traffic from places that I can not get a conventional signal from. Did not expect that one. I have now purchased ARC XT-Pro and I can control everything with the computer. Being I am sight impaired, the fact I can put the info from the scanner on the computer allows me now to see the display and know what I am listening to.

I hope the above will help other new members and if anyone has any advice or tips for me, I would appreciate it!

73 and great scanning to all,

Alan Hensley - KE4AH
Haleyville, AL

rwier

I just thought I would post my thoughts and beginner problems for others new to the Uniden BCD996XT. After ordering the scanner, I researched software and found FreeScan. After downloading it and with the help of others here, I figured out, due to me having Satellite Internet here at my new home, I could not log onto RR and get data. Since I live in the country, there are no other options but satellite internet. The phone company's DSL stops a mile from my house. Since the program ARC XT has a demo mode, I downloaded it and tried to log into RR with it. Works fine, no problems. Today, UPS brought my scanner and the Uniden USB-1 cable I ordered. After installing the drivers for it that I downloaded from ScannerMaster, I followed the readme instructions, and BOOM! the scanner and computer found each other. Using the ARC XT, I downloaded the RR data for my area and up loaded it to the 996XT with no problems. The scanner is performing perfectly and I now hear things that I had not heard since retiring from Law Enforcement. Interestingly, my other scanners (Uniden BC9000XLT and Icom R-100) do not pick up as well using the same Comet GP-6 dual band antenna that I use for ham radio. I am picking up P25 traffic from places that I can not get a conventional signal from. Did not expect that one. I have now purchased ARC XT-Pro and I can control everything with the computer. Being I am sight impaired, the fact I can put the info from the scanner on the computer allows me now to see the display and know what I am listening to.

I hope the above will help other new members and if anyone has any advice or tips for me, I would appreciate it!

73 and great scanning to all,

Alan Hensley - KE4AH
Haleyville, AL
What a wonderful, positive post! Like a fresh, clear, mountain breeze!

wtp

the old line, a friend of mine

he is at retirement age, and always thought that base units have a bigger display. so he got one (gre600)
only to find he can't see it either. he wants to see the frequency (old school) and not the talkgroup .
i had told him a portable has the same size display and sensitivity. that and it is easier to transport, he uses a briefcase to move the radio and other parts for it. with sight going on all of us, yes, a computer screen is great!
keep scanning. and have fun!

lep

I am using a BCD996XT 24/7 to monitor a nearby 700 MHz P-25 Phase 1 trunking system. Since the display "is" rather small for these eyes, I display the Log on my ARCXT pro linked to a PC with a 22 in LCD display. All is big and easy to read! No problem. Actually, I sometimes minimize the 996 data and just let if run in the bottom of the screen but that is just a personal choice when wanting to use the PC for other things.

localknitwits

Agree

Using the ARC XT, I downloaded the RR data for my area and up loaded it to the 996XT with no problems.

I'd still be scratching my head and pushing buttons if I didn't have the software. I loaded the software, downloaded drivers, downloaded RR data, and was up and running within a half hour. Once I get to know my unit a little better I may upgrade from the basic to pro version.

Status
Not open for further replies.