Helping a beginner from Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varius

Good evening guys.

First of all, congratulations for this incredible forum (the best I could find on Google).

My name is Thomas and I discovered the shortwave radios recently.

As it says in the title I'm from Brazil where shortwave radios aren't so popular.

I have some doubts and would be extremely grateful if you could answer my questions, they are simple ones.

First of all: I really like to listen to radio stations from other countries such as United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany, is it possible with a shortwave radio?

Second: I like to hear some specific radio stations via streaming, is it possible to listen all of them with a shortwave radio or this device only allows me to listen to specific radio stations?

Third: in Brazil these kind of equipments are expensive and if you want to import them from other countries you have to pay abusive taxes, could you recommend me some nice radios that aren't so expensive?

Thank you.

SmitHans

Good evening guys.

First of all, congratulations for this incredible forum (the best I could find on Google).

My name is Thomas and I discovered the shortwave radios recently.

As it says in the title I'm from Brazil where shortwave radios aren't so popular.

I have some doubts and would be extremely grateful if you could answer my questions, they are simple ones.

First of all: I really like to listen to radio stations from other countries such as United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany, is it possible with a shortwave radio?

Second: I like to hear some specific radio stations via streaming, is it possible to listen all of them with a shortwave radio or this device only allows me to listen to specific radio stations?

Third: in Brazil these kind of equipments are expensive and if you want to import them from other countries you have to pay abusive taxes, could you recommend me some nice radios that aren't so expensive?

Thank you.

Hello Thomas. What part of Brazil are you from? I have family in Brazil, Sao Paulo and Santos. Unfortunately, they are not interested in radios, so I cannot ask them for any help for your questions.

As for your 1st point, with a shortwave radio and a good antenna, you should be able to hear radio traffic from many countries.
My guess is, that you won't be able to hear many or most of the stations you hear streaming. But who knows, you might. You will just have to get a radio set up and try it.

I have been able to pick up some stations on SW that I hear on the computer, but of course, streaming gives you much better audio quality than getting it off the air, unless the station is close to you.

w2xq

Mentor
Brazil has many regional broadcaster, as does Central America and Africa. These stations in the 4700-5100 kHz range are easy to hear. Regionals provide radio reception for those far from the population areas served by AM and FM stations. International broadcasters in the 9400-9900, 11600-12100, and 15100-15700 kHz ranges provide intercontinental coverage. Look in the libraries near you for a copy of the World Radio TV Handbook. It is an annual reference, your local radio staton(s) may have a copy. I've been a shortwave listener since 1951. If I can help you with questions, write me through my Web site. Hope this helps.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>Second: I like to hear some specific radio stations via streaming, is it possible to listen all of them with a shortwave radio or this device only allows me to listen to specific radio stations?</snip>
Thank you.

Hi Varius and welcome to RR. There are several websites you can actually use an online SW radio to tune around, such as Global Tuners. All it costs for many of these is a free registration. The link for this, and a few other such sites, can be found here (note that anything in blue is a link, both here and in our wiki..)

Live Tunable Receivers - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.