TRX-1: Helping Another TRX user with my Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend with a TRX-1 who often needs programming help, but I feel reluctant to plug the computer into his radio for worry that the result would be a reconfiguration of my own setup. So, I'd like to bounce a couple of ideas around here and see what you guys think.

My friend AFAIK does not use the software himself, and does not have a portable computer that he could bring to another person. So the question really is one of what can be done with MY computer.

Wendy, are you reading the mail?

First Idea: Back up my CDAT into a V-Scanner folder. My V.002 is always a copy of my CDAT. Hopefully, I could download my friend's CDAT, work and return it, and then just copy my V.002 back to my CDAT.

Second Idea: Have his CDAT backed up to a high-numbered v-scanner like V.199 where I could reserve the same v-scanner on my own equipment and import/export from there. Or perhaps leave his radio on that same v-scanner instead of CDAT for everyday operation. The idea here would be avoiding any overwriting at all of my established stuff.

In relation to idea#2, I haven't seen a means internal to the radio for backing up one V-scanner to another without using the computer. If there is a way, it would be handy.

Or maybe there are other solutions. My desire is to help with his TRX-1 or even his PSR800 (I still have THAT radio and software) without creating undesired alterations to my own configuration.

Thanks

73/Allen (N4JRI)

And PS - I know full well about protecting the database, but I really miss the way we took the V-scanner files on the old GRE scanners and simply emailed them to each other. We exchanged a lot of good info on organization and configuration that never endangered our personal defaults for the radios. I hope that Whistler will move further in this direction.

Joseph11

You can export your current configuration to a ZIP archive and re-import it when you're done with your friend's scanner.

troymail

Silent Key
I believe there is a VFolder backup option but it's inside the Set Location menu (I think this requires LocationSelect to be enabled in the global settings menu). Perhaps this should be moved out of the Set Location menu.

As far as on the PC, sometimes when doing programming with EZ Scan where I don't want to damage what I already have, I'll temporarily rename the documents\TRX-1 folder. After that, when starting the software, the folder is recreated and then I just download another copy of the latest database library.

Status
Not open for further replies.