Henderson County New P25 going encrypted

jm32935

Premium Subscriber
Just received word that the new Henderson County P25 System will be encrypting all law enforcement agencies.
Folks, those of us who have monitored P25 Systems and the use of encryption agree that sensitive and confidential communications should be encrypted at the option of their dispatch centers.

When these Cities are no longer broadcasting basic Dispatch Channels Digitally without encryption ,which can warn rural residents of hazards entering their communities, perhaps a burglar in their neighborhood or a major medical alert with a neighbor, they are losing the ability of the Community to provide critical information to law enforcement agencies that they could provide assistance or real time updates to Dispatch Centers.

I reiterate, if there is sensitive information involving surveillance or criminal apprehension then those channels should have the option of encryption.

When we take basic dispatch broadcasts away from the public domain and from those of us that have the ability to use modern day p25 capable expensive scanner equipment to monitor what we have the right to know and in the rare instance, offer real time assistance to dispatch centers, then this is a major (expensive) mistake that Harris and Motorola have sold to these Counties and Cities.

P25 radio systems and the system that Henderson County is putting in place will definitely improve communications, capabilities and life saving emergency broadcasts to our first responders as well as it should, but shutting the public out of non-sensitive dispatch transmissions so Cities can be totally encrypted and prevent news media or neighboring agencies from understanding what is going on in our backyards will be a huge mistake.

We ask Henderson County to speak with other P25 agencies throughout the great state of Texas and see why they are not encrypting Law Enforcement Dispatch channels and simply encrypting when necessary for sensitive communications.

Alerting the public that a suspect is running through their backyard, a major wreck is shutting down a local highway or a drowning victim needs immediate assistance does not need to be (hidden) from the good citizens who care about their Communities.

An expensive, unnecessary burden on the taxpayers of Henderson County.

The TXWarn System is already in place and has the p25 phase 2 capabilities to provide Henderson City the opportunity to speak with other state agencies currently using the system.

Henderson County residents are throwing away millions developing a totally encrypted radio system that they honestly do not need.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, the "encrypt everything plague" has now affected Henderson County. I agree with your comments that encryption might be advisable on specific tactical and investigative communications, but not on basic dispatch, especially in a rural area. In many non-urban areas, multiple people have scanners to keep informed of possible threats in their vicinity. Several years ago, while camping in Palo Pinto County, I heard a call that someone had robbed a garage sale in Gordon. That stirred up a hornets nest of extra eyes looking for the culprits. I suspect that a similar incident in Henderson County might also mobilize dozens of extra eyes, but which will now be sealed out once the encrypted system is in full operation.

'Reinventing the wheel", by building a new system instead of using an existing one (TxWARN), adding another site or two if needed for coverage, might have appealed to the county commissioners since that would allow their sole control of the system, and avoid paying access fees to TxWARN for usage. What has somewhat puzzled me is the design of the new system, with multiple sites, each with their own set of frequencies, instead a simulcast system with several sites for coverage.

Edit to add:
Have you heard anything as to the schedule when the system is put into use? Periodically, I have tried scanning their assigned frequencies, with no success. But I'm some distance away, possibly too far to pick up any of the sites.

jm32935

Premium Subscriber
Its been a big mystery so far.
I live in Kaufman County and their P25 Phase 2 Simulcast is working great. I can hear them in Athens.
I spoke to a source (by accident) who is involved with Hendersons New System and he let me know they were going fully encrypted on all law enforcement channels but Fire and EMS may not.
My compliments to the folks at Harris for their Sales Effort!!!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I believe that area was one of several where some of them YouTube dont wanna work auditors followed LE to calls using equipment some even flashing to LE. So you can see why there is a need for it specially in this day and age with them types interfering around loops in laws stalking LE.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe that area was one of several where some of them YouTube dont wanna work auditors followed LE to calls using equipment some even flashing to LE. So you can see why there is a need for it specially in this day and age with them types interfering around loops in laws stalking LE.
The video paparazzi have not been an issue in the more rural areas of north central Texas (including Henderson County, as well as Ellis & Kaufman counties). However, that was the reason Arlington gave for fully encrypting the PD when shifting to a P25 Phase II system, and later also dropping the curtain on fire & ems. I would note that Arlington, as well as a couple of other agencies that went fully encrypted, has had several serious blemishes on their PD's image of professionalism and competence. Whether that was a factor in choosing full encryption is beyond the scope of a discussion on actions in Henderson County.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
The video paparazzi have not been an issue in the more rural areas of north central Texas (including Henderson County, as well as Ellis & Kaufman counties). However, that was the reason Arlington gave for fully encrypting the PD when shifting to a P25 Phase II system, and later also dropping the curtain on fire & ems. I would note that Arlington, as well as a couple of other agencies that went fully encrypted, has had several serious blemishes on their PD's image of professionalism and competence. Whether that was a factor in choosing full encryption is beyond the scope of a discussion on actions in Henderson County.
Arlington Fire and EMS are not encrypted. Listening to them this afternoon. FD does have at least one encrypted channel they use on some incidents.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Arlington Fire and EMS are not encrypted. Listening to them this afternoon. FD does have at least one encrypted channel they use on some incidents.
Good to know. Supposedly, they claimed that all FD would be encrypted some time back, but may have changed their mind. In any event, I can't hear them from home- out of range. Also, when I'm heading out west to visit a friend out in Stephens County, I never hear a peep from Arlington when I'm in range on I-20, even though I often encounter a wreck with fire equipment on-seen. Are they possibly restricting use of the encrypted TGID to incidents where the PD is also responding?

HiddenLefty

I notice more and more it's not that there was a paparazzi issue but that someone acted incompetent or unprofessional publicly and they need to hide to prevent further proof of it now. The lump under the rug along with public distrust grows, instead of taking care of the problem at hand. It's easy to stand by your side of the story when nobody else is allowed to hear it and they can't tell whether you're lying or not. Radio traffic of incidents can often reveal a lot of truth about what actually went on between the lines and what was really said. There is one reason to encrypt and that's to hide something. End of story.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I could see the want due to the drug activity that is alive and well in the area. But I'd place my money on a good salesman more than a need to shut the public out. Do you really think though that Henderson County will ever have a disaster situation that it's neighboring counties will want to listen in? I don't. Still, encrypting dispatch makes little sense. TLETS and Investigative, sure but Dispatch is one of those that the community can really use to their advantage in good ways. But you will never get those overpaid command personnel to understand that.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber

This must be one of those YouTube "auditor" idiots you're referring to: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF13z_7KDmrSOy4bziHM4rw

He carries a programmed Motorola XTS2500 and chases calls. He was doing it in Montgomery County until they locked down their comms. Last I heard, he was still chasing calls in Harris County.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin

HiddenLefty

Yeah…….they look like a couple of real winners

The people who do this need some kind of charges placed on them. They actually get in the way. I thought there was something they could do about that. They may not be able to take away the radio, but I swore impeding emergency services was an offense of some kind and chasing calls is an idiot offense no less anyway. Half the time I'm listening to stay AWAY from the scene if possible if it's when out and about because no need to get in the way, make more traffic, and a bigger mess.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
The people who do this need some kind of charges placed on them. They actually get in the way. I thought there was something they could do about that. They may not be able to take away the radio, but I swore impeding emergency services was an offense of some kind and chasing calls is an idiot offense no less anyway. Half the time I'm listening to stay AWAY from the scene if possible if it's when out and about because no need to get in the way, make more traffic, and a bigger mess.

I saw one of his videos where he went into the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to "audit" (agitate) with his XTS blaring. Some of the deputies were asking him questions about the radio (Is it programmed on TxWarn? Can it key up?, etc). They even asked to inspect the radio to verify that the transmit function had been disabled. I thought they were going to confiscate it at one point (they should've), but they handed it back to him and said "You'll need a new radio soon because of "technological upgrades". Auditor idiot said he was going to buy an APX. Not sure if he actually did it. That APX would've been rendered useless.

Most of the "auditors"/copwatchers use scanners, streaming apps, or even commerical radios to aid them in following the police around. Their M.O. is to chase calls, initiate confrontations with officers and do everything they can to get arrested so they can sue and try to get a huge payout. I can't blame agencies for encrypting their communications to put a stop to that B.S.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I saw one of his videos where he went into the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to "audit" (agitate) with his XTS blaring. Some of the deputies were asking him questions about the radio (Is it programmed on TxWarn? Can it key up?, etc). They even asked to inspect the radio to verify that the transmit function had been disabled. I thought they were going to confiscate it at one point (they should've), but they handed it back to him and said "You'll need a new radio soon because of "technological upgrades". Auditor idiot said he was going to buy an APX. Not sure if he actually did it. That APX would've been rendered useless.

Most of the "auditors"/copwatchers use scanners, streaming apps, or even commerical radios to aid them in following the police around. Their M.O. is to chase calls, initiate confrontations with officers and do everything they can to get arrested so they can sue and try to get a huge payout. I can't blame agencies for encrypting their communications to put a stop to that B.S.

That "technological upgrade" was they are now encrypted.

tkowalik

Banned
Encrypt away! One day these system admins are going to wake up and realize the nightmare they find themselves in. It’s beyond a National security issue at this point. Encryption leads to hackers, extortionists, and bad cops. Best of luck.

By the way, see something say something. Be aware of your surroundings but just don’t listen about it.

tkowalik

Banned
Encrypt away! One day these system admins are going to wake up and realize the nightmare they find themselves in. It’s beyond a National security issue at this point. Encryption leads to hackers, extortionists, and bad cops. Best of luck.

By the way, see something say something. Be aware of your surroundings but just don’t listen about it.

Makes me wonder about those 26 Texas cities that got hacked. I wonder if any, or how many, were encrypted. That story got buried so fast, makes one wonder………

edit: 22 Texas cities:

Last edited:

HiddenLefty

They should arrest them and rightfully because they're impeding emergency services and law enforcement duties. Disorderly conduct at least. They can probably make charges fit. If I was the judge and they showed me body camera or security camera footage of how these guys do I couldn't disagree, and they set themselves up for it with their own videos on YouTube as more evidence. They'd not win any reasonable lawsuit because it would have the word frivolous used. You play stupid games and win stupid prizes where I'm from and be lucky you didn't get in the middle of an actual scene and hurt if you're them. I just can't believe they didn't take away the radio and had hands on it but they knew it would soon be useless I guess. They were overall too nice in my opinion so bravo to them for being extremely professional with a wackjob in the building. Down here they just flag you scanner equipped and if you aren't supposed to hear something it doesn't go over the radio. That's why some of us have it hidden in the vehicle console out of sight and just don't discuss it with them or most of the public. Not trying to be on the radar or known about. Unlike these crackpots who seem to chase police because ambulances got boring I guess? I just know it's sure not how to make police friends. At the same time I don't think encryption fixes these people or stops them because they're going to latch onto someone else and agitate and they're still just as crazy. They'd probably just drive around following cop cars even without the radio, or do something to make the police come over.

red8

Just received word that the new Henderson County P25 System will be encrypting all law enforcement agencies.
Folks, those of us who have monitored P25 Systems and the use of encryption agree that sensitive and confidential communications should be encrypted at the option of their dispatch centers.

When these Cities are no longer broadcasting basic Dispatch Channels Digitally without encryption ,which can warn rural residents of hazards entering their communities, perhaps a burglar in their neighborhood or a major medical alert with a neighbor, they are losing the ability of the Community to provide critical information to law enforcement agencies that they could provide assistance or real time updates to Dispatch Centers.

I reiterate, if there is sensitive information involving surveillance or criminal apprehension then those channels should have the option of encryption.

When we take basic dispatch broadcasts away from the public domain and from those of us that have the ability to use modern day p25 capable expensive scanner equipment to monitor what we have the right to know and in the rare instance, offer real time assistance to dispatch centers, then this is a major (expensive) mistake that Harris and Motorola have sold to these Counties and Cities.

P25 radio systems and the system that Henderson County is putting in place will definitely improve communications, capabilities and life saving emergency broadcasts to our first responders as well as it should, but shutting the public out of non-sensitive dispatch transmissions so Cities can be totally encrypted and prevent news media or neighboring agencies from understanding what is going on in our backyards will be a huge mistake.

We ask Henderson County to speak with other P25 agencies throughout the great state of Texas and see why they are not encrypting Law Enforcement Dispatch channels and simply encrypting when necessary for sensitive communications.

Alerting the public that a suspect is running through their backyard, a major wreck is shutting down a local highway or a drowning victim needs immediate assistance does not need to be (hidden) from the good citizens who care about their Communities.

An expensive, unnecessary burden on the taxpayers of Henderson County.

The TXWarn System is already in place and has the p25 phase 2 capabilities to provide Henderson City the opportunity to speak with other state agencies currently using the system.

Henderson County residents are throwing away millions developing a totally encrypted radio system that they honestly do not need.
I lived in Athens and there ain't nothing sensitive going on to warrant it.
Billy Bob and Bubba talking about who's the best rodeo rider in the county. That was about as sensitive as it gets. LOL!

robinsonad

The system is up now. Testing is occurring. They are going to start alerting the fire departments on the system shortly.