Henderson, Nevada Trunking System Key Info Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltee

I am having an old Motorola handie talkie converted into a receive only monitor. One of the agencies I want to monitor is Henderson, NV PD. They are not encrypted. The radio tech says that I need to get the "system key" for him to program the monitor. Henderson is part of the Southern Nevada Area Communications Council (SNACC).

Any leads or info helpful. The local cops were supportive but didn't know that info.

THANK YOU.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As a system administrator I can tell you that system keys are not given out. It's like handing a complete stranger the key to your front door and saying "Come on in, put your feet up and help yourself to anything in the fridge!". If you are a legal user of the system, the system administrator will set up the radio for you. If you are not a legal user of the system, they will not, and they will not give you a system key. I keep my system keys locked up and no one gets hold of them that isn't directly authorized by me.

Some people have hacked system keys, and have made it work, but that doesn't make it legal.

Incorrectly putting a radio on a trunked system like that can cause issues. Done wrong, it can take resources from public safety users. Using someone else's radio ID can make their radio not work. Done wrong, it'll show up to the system admin, and they'll brick your radio. You can blame it on the radio tech who did the programming, but if you are the one holding the radio, they'll take you down also.

I mean this in the most helpful way: Get a scanner. Easier, legal and will do way more than a old Motorola radio will.

Eltee

As a system administrator I can tell you that system keys are not given out. It's like handing a complete stranger the key to your front door and saying "Come on in, put your feet up and help yourself to anything in the fridge!". If you are a legal user of the system, the system administrator will set up the radio for you. If you are not a legal user of the system, they will not, and they will not give you a system key. I keep my system keys locked up and no one gets hold of them that isn't directly authorized by me.

Some people have hacked system keys, and have made it work, but that doesn't make it legal.

Incorrectly putting a radio on a trunked system like that can cause issues. Done wrong, it can take resources from public safety users. Using someone else's radio ID can make their radio not work. Done wrong, it'll show up to the system admin, and they'll brick your radio. You can blame it on the radio tech who did the programming, but if you are the one holding the radio, they'll take you down also.

I mean this in the most helpful way: Get a scanner. Easier, legal and will do way more than a old Motorola radio will.

The radio shop from the police department I worked at before I moved was doing this for me. The radio would be to LISTEN only, not broadcast as I don't work for HPD but I live in their area. The scanners (I have a couple) are a little fragile compared to an out of service police Motorola. The police radio shop has a bunch from when they upgraded and told me they'd put good one together in-spec to use as a durable monitor.

I'm not much of a radio guy so I thought it would be no more intrusive than listening in using my Uniden scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.