Hennepin County Broadcastify Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronic

This is all getting out of hand , there are some talkgroups on the a big system here in ohio that the new Broadcastify Calls is streaming talkgroups used by undercover operations. They are not dedicated talkgroups for that type of operation because you cant just advertise those type of talkgroups , but they have been using those talkgroups for years , and now they will soon be used against those that use the talk groups or they will go encrypted . Its a shame that they will be used for profit until they are closed down and the very listeners who provide them and other that just like to listen will be shut out.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
This is all getting out of hand , there are some talkgroups on the a big system here in ohio that the new Broadcastify Calls is streaming talkgroups used by undercover operations. They are not dedicated talkgroups for that type of operation because you cant just advertise those type of talkgroups , but they have been using those talkgroups for years , and now they will soon be used against those that use the talk groups or they will go encrypted . Its a shame that they will be used for profit until they are closed down and the very listeners who provide them and other that just like to listen will be shut out.

What are these talkgroups classified as in the database? Are they classified as Dispatch (seems unlikely) or Events? The types of law enforcement talkgroups that can be streamed from Broadcastify are limited. If these talkgroups are known to exist and are monitorable, then they should be in the database and properly classified. I understand they aren't dedicated to undercover ops but what exactly are they classified as?

I don't know much about Broadcastify Calls but I would think they would have the same rules as the regular feeds.

Chronic

What are these talkgroups classified as in the database? Are they classified as Dispatch (seems unlikely) or Events? The types of law enforcement talkgroups that can be streamed from Broadcastify are limited. If these talkgroups are known to exist and are monitorable, then they should be in the database and properly classified. I understand they aren't dedicated to undercover ops but what exactly are they classified as?

I don't know much about Broadcastify Calls but I would think they would have the same rules as the regular feeds.

They are labeled as events , but none the less they use them all the time , maybe they should be reclasified. its just a shame that because they are being streamed those of us who like to listen are going to lose that ability. I just find it hard to believe that because of the name of the talk group they are alowed to be streamed . If we dont police ourselve , streamers and broadcastify , we are going to ruin our hobby .

fredva

Feed Provider
They are labeled as events , but none the less they use them all the time , maybe they should be reclasified. its just a shame that because they are being streamed those of us who like to listen are going to lose that ability. I just find it hard to believe that because of the name of the talk group they are alowed to be streamed . If we dont police ourselve , streamers and broadcastify , we are going to ruin our hobby .
If they use them more for undercover ops than events, then they definitely should be reclassified through a database submission. Using the classification of the talkgroup helps the administrators do their policing. Putting feed providers in a position to argue that an undercover talkgroup is really an events talkgroup doesn't help enforcement.

Chronic

when i was speaking to one of the admins on here they pretty much told me to go pound salt and to go read the tems of service .

mnrick

If they use them more for undercover ops than events, then they definitely should be reclassified through a database submission. Using the classification of the talkgroup helps the administrators do their policing. Putting feed providers in a position to argue that an undercover talkgroup is really an events talkgroup doesn't help enforcement.
These types of TG's seem to have different names from County to County. One County might have them in as "Event", another one might be "Tactical", another might have "Alternate" or "special".... What they use these talk groups for can also change from day to day. One day they might be having a traffic detail on there, the next could be a perimeter search, day after that a riot.

I do not know what Minneapolis Channel 8 is used for on a normal day but at different points during the riots it seemed like they had their mains linked up with interop TG's also. It was a extraordinary event that used a lot of radio resources.

dvendt

Maybe they should start charging a hefty monthly sudscription for providing feeds. There shouldn't be a free meal for these cry babies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Let me understand this. . . A talkgroup that was envisioned as an Events channel is being used for something other than it's original/intended purpose and Broadcastify are the bad guys because of that?

Such channels are still susceptible to monitoring with scanners, even if Broadcastify dumped them.

Maybe the system ought to create some more talkgroups that are intended to be for undercover operations and consider encrypting those channels.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Such channels are still susceptible to monitoring with scanners, even if Broadcastify dumped them.

True, but the number of people who can listen on a scanner are limited by the number of people who have a scanner and are in range, which is a fairly small number. During protests last week I remember seeing number as high as 30k listening to minneapolis feeds. Those people are from all over the world and most wouldn't be able to listen without the feeds. Feeds greatly increase the number of people who can listen, which I think is inherently good. But it does pose a real threat to the hobby as it becomes justification for encryption.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I do not know what Minneapolis Channel 8 is used for on a normal day but at different points during the riots it seemed like they had their mains linked up with interop TG's also. It was a extraordinary event that used a lot of radio resources.

For what its worth mpls 8 is categorized as a tac channel in the database.

Chronic

Oddly enough broadcastify can stream them , but a ordinary person cant .

BenFranske

My 2 cents would be:

A - MPD channels as one group. Owing to what time of day, they have different channel assignments for precincts. Alternatively MPD 1 as a group, MPD 2 as another group, MPD 3 as a third then MPD 4.

B - MFD channels as another group. The fire main and tac channels 3 to whatever is the highest in this group. (A fire tac channel is a different creature than a law enforcement tac channel. As a retired fire chief I'm happy with folks listening to what we are doing. A long time ago in New Jersey there was a bad fire with firefighters trapped. Unfortunately they were on the wrong channel when calling for help and no one answered. Luckily a hobbyist heard them and telephoned dispatch.)

C - I'm not sure about this and it depends on whether the state patrol mains are forced on Minneapolis N-S. If nothing else it would be helpful to know where crashes are, so folks can avoid an area.

D - METCOM on a group.

Again, thanks!
My new feeds for MPD and MFD are now up, along with a public works feed. I see very few state patrol calls on Minneapolis N-S so I don't think they are natively on those towers. If I could capture Minneapolis City Center I think they are on that... anyone want to spring for two more SDR sticks and antenna splitters (about $80 total?)

For the Metcom feed... looks like RR counts all of them as Interop so they should be allowed. So you'd like METAC 1 - METAC 8 plus METCOM as identified in the RR database?

Status
Not open for further replies.