Henrico County Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

greaper

Does anyone listen to Henrico County police? I remember that when they covertedt to digital that an officer told me they could flip a switch to encrypt the traffic but rarely ever do. I was just wondering if this is still the case?

I am looking to get a PSR-500 and want to know before I purchase one.

Thanx

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Yeah 99% of the time Henrico Police dispatch talkgroups are in the clear. Their tacs however are encrypted.

trainman111

Yup I listen to Henrico PD. Like Aaron said, most of the time the Dispatch TG's are non-encrypted, but the Tactical TG's are always encrypted.

CVASSB

They told me on the telephone that they went encrypted when they went digital years ago. I lived in Henrico County most of my life.This made me sorry when I found out the truth. I talked to someone in the department who was suppose to know the answer to my question. If that was true,they lied to me I'm sorry to say.

When the BC 250D came out 2 years after that,I could hear most of the communications. Very few communications are encrypted.

Last edited:

vfn137

Premium Subscriber
Henrico Info

You have been mislead. To reiterate, the PD Patrol Talkgroups are not encrypted (mon with my 996's every day)! The Tac channels however are. Lots of good monitoring to be had.

Happy Scanning!

KF4ZTO

Plus Henrico is part of the larger Richmond metro area mega-TRS....so there is lots more to be monitored anyway. The PSR-500 is what you wanna get anyway.

Good Luck!

greaper

Thanx for all the information. I just bought a used Pro-96. Worst case, if I do not like it I can turn around and sell it.

Is the frequency list on this site accurate for the Richmond, Henrico and Chesterfield area?

Seth

KF4ZTO

Yes sir, the listing for the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield/CH system is basically complete. There are a few unlisted talkgroups that show up from time to time. I myself have a Pro-96 and use it with the Richmond site of that TRS. That radio also does very well with the conventional stuff in use around here (Richmond Ambulance Authority, GRTC, Henrico and Tuckahoe Rescue Squad dispatch and various others). A lot of people in this forum are in the Richmond metro area and theres lots of cool stuff to scan around here.

Feel free to ask any more questions and congrats with your purchase of the '96

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
They told me on the telephone that they went encrypted when they went digital years ago. I lived in Henrico County most of my life.This made me sorry when I found out the truth. I talked to someone in the department who was suppose to know the answer to my question. If that was true,they lied to me I'm sorry to say.

When the BC 250D came out 2 years after that,I could hear most of the communications. Very few communications are encrypted.

The 250d & 785d were the 1st digital scanners on the market. Even though what you were told may not have been "exactly" accurate, they were basically encrypted because nothing on the market could decode a digital transmission.

They probably told you the truth as they knew it. A lot of us firefighters and police officers aren't radio experts... what matters in public safety is how things work on our end.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I think that as far as most end users are concerned, digital audio equals encryption. To explain the difference to them would be counterproductive for different sets of reasons.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

greaper

Does anyone have a database file for the Pro-96 that they would care to share for me to upload with WIN-96 for the Richmond area?

You can email it to me at kf4djx@yahoo.com

Thanx

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a database file for the Pro-96 that they would care to share for me to upload with WIN-96 for the Richmond area?

You can email it to me at kf4djx@yahoo.com

Thanx

Go to ScanVirginia (link is in my signature) go to the scannist corner (from the nav. bar at the top of the main page) and go down to the files section... There are a few P96 files there.

CVASSB

Thank you tglendye,and n4jri. I remember that day on the phone. You have helped me to understand that they where telling the truth they thought. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.