Here comes Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

I know all eyes are on Irene, but I looked up the latest prediction from Joe Bastardi. He is one of the top professional/commercial forecasters in the business. If he is correct, this could be one big mess for us from the OBX to Beantown. Norfolk appears to be in for quite a ride with predictions of 120 mph gusts. Here is the link:

http://www.weatherbell.com/weather-...sts-irene-to-be-a-top-mid-atlantic-hurricane/

Get your generators checked out and fueled.

bep

Premium Subscriber
20 gal gas and generator is ready. All my outdoor items are inside (wish my %)^(&(^( neighbors would do the same. Have plenty of elderly neighbors, guess they are going to my problem if sh** hits the fan.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Yep, getting ready for it too here near Richmond, although it won't be as bad as on the coast. It looks like it might be worse than Isabel but at least the ground isn't as saturated now as it was that year.

RRUNYON657

i may not be there now but va beach is home to me you know the saying home is where the heart is and i have been glued to the tv and internet and i told the wife if its bad as they say i will make my 16 hr drive to help:) i miss va and ill take any trip there to help out

SCPD

QRT
my dad just told me he is being placed in Suffolk Fire Station #9 he works with Virginia Natural Gas. In Isabel he was in Suffolk Fire Station #1

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
And now I'll be at the state EOC first thing in the morning, staffing the amateur radio room.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
ORION OPS 10 just reported they don't expect any storm changes other then what we've already experienced.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
DIRECTV Launches Dedicated Hurricane Irene Information Channel

DIRECTV Launches Dedicated Hurricane Irene Information Channel

Channel Will Provide Local Network News Feeds along the Storm Track and Red Cross Information to Aid Storm Victims

DIRECTV is launching a dedicated 24/7 "Hurricane Irene Information" channel that will provide live broadcasts from local stations in markets affected by the hurricane to DIRECTV viewers nationwide.

The DIRECTV-produced information channel will begin broadcasting at midnight EDT/9 p.m. PDT tonight and will air on three separate viewer channels: 259, 325 and 349. DIRECTV plans to provide continuous coverage throughout the weekend or until the storm has diminished in strength.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/264845-directv-launches-hurricane-irene-info-channel.html

At this time it's showing NBC 12 from Richmond, VA on those above channels.
http://www.nbc12.com/

K4APR

I have been in the NASA Wallops EOC since 0600 yesterday morning. Had to come in to support all RF coms, in case something went down. I'm still here :(

homeinva

had a total of 14.73 in of rain for this one in Suffolk va
still got power and no damage better than Isable lost power for a few days

gcgrotz

Yep, getting ready for it too here near Richmond, although it won't be as bad as on the coast. It looks like it might be worse than Isabel but at least the ground isn't as saturated now as it was that year.

I guess she fooled you, and everybody else too. I have family living off Luck's Lane and they somehow didn't lose power. Gonna be a long cleanup!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I guess she fooled you, and everybody else too. I have family living off Luck's Lane and they somehow didn't lose power. Gonna be a long cleanup!

She certainly did. I was at the state EOC for over 12 hours in the radio room (N4VEM, perhaps I spoke to some of you?) Saturday and handled lots of messages.

I too was very lucky to keep power, well we only lost it for about 2 hours but it's been very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.