Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

ynumevep.jpg
6e2ahe9y.jpg
ymapures.jpg
e6y9abad.jpg
4yduhygy.jpg
Huh just kidding. I am wondering what these Radio Shack antennas may do. They boast the 800 Max antenna they have sell is specially for 800 mhz trunking systems and that long antenna I thought I could use for 536 and the range is stated from 24 mhz-1300 mhz but I didn't realize it didn't have a 90° union so it won't go vertical. I was also wondering if anyone has used the antennas sold on ebay. They say that these all "the original upgrade". If you search ebay under Uniden bcd436 and 536 you will see them. 19.99 each. There are even a few more popping up as 396 models etc. So if anyone can tell me if these are same as or better then stock. Also if the Radio Shack antenna is worth getting
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JamesO

I can tell you the Radio Shack 800 MHz rubber duck antenna is probably the best 800 MHz antenna I have found. Not sure what they did with the design, but it works well.

The other replacement antenna on ebay, I have the the 90 degree antenna. Not sure if it is from the same seller, but these have adapters that come with antenna. The antenna may have a TNC connector?? do not recall.

The ebay antenna is ok, can't say much about it as I have not played with it enough, but I have 2 of the Radio Shack 800 MHz antennas and use these most of my handhelds unless I need something a bit linger for lower frequencies.

I use NOAA weather sites as a general benchmark to compare lower frequency behavior on many of the antenna I play with.

lawman210

I appreciate the response. The two the ebay seller has one with sma the other with the bnc. Not sure if he uses an adapter but he markets these antennas for both the 536 and 436. I put the radios shack 800 on today and trying to pick up Baltimore County maryland police and although it worked I didn't pick up as much traffic as I thought I would being right in the middle of the county. I had only the Baltimore County system locked into my 436. This was just from a scan and when the system came up I locked the system in. Not sure if that makes a difference. The radio shack 800 is a little odd looking to me. It's maybe an inch longer then the stock but wasn't sure if it is worth the 25.00 investment. Would you suggest using stock if I plan on listening to a range of systems other then 800? Wondering if the improvement in 800mhz (using 60% of the time) is enough to recommend over possible loss in other systems 40% of the time. As for the long 70's style antenna wasn't sure if that would do as a last resort for times when I'm am stationary and not receiving far enough. Also though it might be good for just monitoring Citizens band.
I am not a techy. I am a great marksman but not so much on this stuff. Thanks for any input

lawman210

Oh also meant to ask about the little stubbies they sell. Any good?

JamesO

I appreciate the response. The two the ebay seller has one with sma the other with the bnc. Not sure if he uses an adapter but he markets these antennas for both the 536 and 436.

Look at the pictures very carefully, they both have adapters, the description may or may not be clear on this.

More of an issue on the 90 degree antenna as it sticks out a bit further.

I have a 396XT and run the 800 MHz RS antenna about 90% of the time on this radio and I am generally happy with it.

I have number of other antennas to include a fee Diamond antennas and a Condor, but they are much longer.

Maybe if I get time I will try a better comparison on these.

lawman210

Oh yeah I see the adapters now. Looks like I will wait. I'll use that money to put towards a gps unit

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Oh also meant to ask about the little stubbies they sell. Any good?

I bought a couple on eBay from komputers-n-stuff.
They seems to work almost as well as the longer antennas, at least for systems that I listen to.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Antennas

Be careful with the longer antennas. The additional stress is a well known cause of breakage and failure of the connector on the radio. Move it slowly and carefully to avoid any whipping effect, and don't let it strike anything that could add additional stress.

lawman210

Yeah I think the 800mhz RS which is only an 3/4" bigger then the stock is the longest I will go. Bare in mind you habe to use the bnc adapter which then makes 1 1/4" longer. If I get a longer one it will be just for propping up I a desk holder. I really wish it was a tad bit shorter but not as short as the stubby
uvuqa4u9.jpg

JamesO

As for a GPS, suggest you search around ebay for a Garmin GPS18, make SURE you find a Serial unit as there are a lot of Garmin GPS18 USB units around.

You should be able to get one for under $40 if you shop around.

Slightly cleaner than the Uniden setup.

As for the BNC T and using 2 antenna, that works but sometimes will also kill certain frequency bands with null

Since you have a hand held scanner, if using it at home, inside, I would suggest a magnet mount antenna that you can place somewhere near a window and then just hook the cable up to the scanner. This will not stress the SMA connector on the radio like the larger antenna or 2 antennas on a BNC T adapter.

lawman210

As for a GPS, suggest you search around ebay for a Garmin GPS18, make SURE you find a Serial unit as there are a lot of Garmin GPS18 USB units around.

You should be able to get one for under $40 if you shop around.

Slightly cleaner than the Uniden setup.

As for the BNC T and using 2 antenna, that works but sometimes will also kill certain frequency bands with null

Since you have a hand held scanner, if using it at home, inside, I would suggest a magnet mount antenna that you can place somewhere near a window and then just hook the cable up to the scanner. This will not stress the SMA connector on the radio like the larger antenna or 2 antennas on a BNC T adapter.

If using a magnetic mount for home don't I have to make some type of ground plane for it?

JamesO

If using a magnetic mount for home don't I have to make some type of ground plane for it?

Sometimes I just take an alligator clip jumper or 2 and connect then to the shield/ground side of the scanner or antenna and see what happens and/or connect it to something metal and see if it changes anything. Sometimes I have even had luck with a alligator jumper on the extended center portion of a whip antenna. Sometimes having a metal filing cabinet or a metal cookie sheet will help and make a difference.

RF and antennas are Black Magic. Sometimes you just have to play around and see what works. But also realize that there is usually no free lunch with RF. Sometimes an improvement in one band hurts another band.

But this is the fun part to play around and see what works.

I actually use a LNA (Low Noise Amplifier) at times in some applications to help out with the front end/antenna performance.

lawman210

Ok but stealing my wife's cookie sheet might get me in trouble. Lol. Hey I found a Gps18 as you advised. I see then with the gps unit and hockey puck antenna. I also see the puck antenna being sold by themselves. Do I need the garmin gps unit or does the 436 have that in it? I figured I would ask as the uniden antenna is just an antenna without a physical gps

JamesO

This is what you need - Amazon.com: Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit: GPS & Navigation

Just like in the picture.

BE very careful as they have a bar unit with pigtail wiring and one with a USB connector, these will not work.

If you shop it on ebay, you should be able to find one for around $35-$40 at tops?

Here is a current ebay listing, $25 or offer with $10 shipping - Garmin 19N001805 GPS 18x PC GPS Sensor | eBay

A bit better than the $80+ for the Uniden unit.

I have both and the GPS18x does work with the scanners, you will need to have an interface cable for the scanner, not 100% if the 436HP has the same interface as the 396xt and HP1?

lawman210

Yes that one is cleaner then the uniden since the uniden has the extra detaching cord. I was wondering it you actually needed the garmin gps. I have a guy with a sweet deal and it includes a gps unit. But I was going to buy it if I needed to use that gps specifically. What does the power plug on this unit for?

Status
Not open for further replies.