Here is what "might" be a dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWaller

Is there anyway to download to the computer, not scanner, various lists? For example, I want to download the list of FCC licenses for my county, which is over 3600 licenses. Is it possible, or do I have to use brute force. I.E. go to the first page, copy and paste to Excel (as a first step), goto next page and repeat until all are done.

Thanks

bezking

If you go to your county's database page, then click the "reports" tab, you will be able to download PDFs of FCC licences for your county.

KC0QNB

If you go to your county's database page, then click the "reports" tab, you will be able to download PDFs of FCC licences for your county.

I agree, no point in programming dead frequencies, pick the ones you know or think might be interesting, then temp some others, in a few months you will have a definitive list of what is active in you area.

JWaller

I really DO feel dumb

Thanks for the help. My eyes must be going bad, I did not see "Reports" at all. I scanned the page carefully, or so I thought, and did not see it. Sigh.........

I will convert to pdf so I can import the list into Access. From there I can go through the frequencies that I want to add to my system. It will move a bit faster than doing it on the web..... From this I will create a database of my frequencies which I can download to my scanner, AND download to my PDA. The PDA will hold all the info that does not fit into the scanner databanks. I know, Access may be a bit of overkill, (although with a database of this size, maybe not) but it will also be good practice in learning Access. Hey! I gotta do something while listening to the Scanner:)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Is there anyway to download to the computer, not scanner, various lists? For example, I want to download the list of FCC licenses for my county, which is over 3600 licenses. Is it possible, or do I have to use brute force. I.E. go to the first page, copy and paste to Excel (as a first step), goto next page and repeat until all are done.

Thanks
Excel 2007 will import data directly from any web page. Provide a link (web page) for the 3600 licenses? I can easily import in Excel 2007 then save in and attach here in Excel 97.

gcgrotz

Excel 2007 will import data directly from any web page. Provide a link (web page) for the 3600 licenses? I can easily import in Excel 2007 then save in and attach here in Excel 97.

So Excel 2007 is really good for something other than making me frustrated and mad? I'll have to look into that. Thanks Frank!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
So Excel 2007 is really good for something other than making me frustrated and mad? I'll have to look into that. Thanks Frank!
Click Data then From Web. This will send you to your home page of browser. You can the navigate to a page or paste a url into the Address bar. Hint--double click the Blue "New Web Query" at top to fully expand the Excel page.

JWaller

Thanks

Thanks, fmon for the Excel tip. I may have to use it as I have not been able to find a way to extract the data from the pdf in a usable way. It can be extracted, but the data is scrambled all over the place. The only problem with the Excel method is that there are 15 to 20 pages or more, which means it is a brute force method, although easier than copy and paste. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could create a macro that could change the page to copy, or something like that. In the meantime I have queried Adobe about this, so maybe they have a solution.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.